Deptive hiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourgrapes

Hi and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Approximately 3.5 years ago I accepted a job offer from my current employer. Prior to this, I had a decent paying job, a lot of seniority and was very much guaranteed my position unless there was some devastating turn of events. But there was no movement and no real advancement opportunities.

I took my current job, with a different employer, because of higher pay/benefits, more room for movement either into other sections or management (The second half of this was told to me by my recruiters as well as management types). Additionally, my current employer's recruiters told me that there would be quick movement through the seniority ranks because they were hiring and continuing to do so because they were so short staffed and quickly absorbing more areas of responsibility. So obviously I was very enthusiastic and accepted the offer once all the interviews and testing was completed. During this time, I asked several times about the solvency of my employer and each time was told "while no job can be guaranteed, we are hiring while other employers are firing".

Fast forward to now. The number of hires after me never totaled more than 20. Today I was given notice that my job is at risk of disappearing do to budget cuts. I found out that my current employer wasn't honest with me during the hiring process. In fact, I learned that they were given dire financial forecasts by their budget director as early as 2001 in budget meetings. They were told that if they didn't curtail their current expenditures and bring their budgets under control that the 2010,2011,2012 budgets would be disastrous and require large and painful cuts. Well, his predictions came true. While the recruiters most likely were unaware that what they were telling me had already been dismissed, I am positive that neither I nor my fellow employees would have come to our current employer had we known of the prediction of this financial meltdown. In fact, most of us left very secure jobs to be hired by our current employer.

Oh and by the way, about a year after I was hired, the advancement opportunities began to disappear and finally disappeared altogether within two years of my hire date. The reasons given at that time were to re-organize and re-focus our attention to more important needs.

Is there recourse in this situation? If so, what? Thanks.

Hi and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Approximately 3.5 years ago I accepted a job offer from my current employer. Prior to this, I had a decent paying job, a lot of seniority and was very much guaranteed my position unless there was some devastating turn of events. But there was no movement and no real advancement opportunities.

I took my current job, with a different employer, because of higher pay/benefits, more room for movement either into other sections or management (The second half of this was told to me by my recruiters as well as management types). Additionally, my current employer's recruiters told me that there would be quick movement through the seniority ranks because they were hiring and continuing to do so because they were so short staffed and quickly absorbing more areas of responsibility. So obviously I was very enthusiastic and accepted the offer once all the interviews and testing was completed. During this time, I asked several times about the solvency of my employer and each time was told "while no job can be guaranteed, we are hiring while other employers are firing".

Fast forward to now. The number of hires after me never totaled more than 20. Today I was given notice that my job is at risk of disappearing do to budget cuts. I found out that my current employer wasn't honest with me during the hiring process. In fact, I learned that they were given dire financial forecasts by their budget director as early as 2001 in budget meetings. They were told that if they didn't curtail their current expenditures and bring their budgets under control that the 2010,2011,2012 budgets would be disastrous and require large and painful cuts. Well, his predictions came true. While the recruiters most likely were unaware that what they were telling me had already been dismissed, I am positive that neither I nor my fellow employees would have come to our current employer had we known of the prediction of this financial meltdown. In fact, most of us left very secure jobs to be hired by our current employer.

Oh and by the way, about a year after I was hired, the advancement opportunities began to disappear and finally disappeared altogether within two years of my hire date. The reasons given at that time were to re-organize and re-focus our attention to more important needs.

Is there recourse in this situation? If so, what? Thanks.

Every situation has recourse.
There are no legal remedies available to you, however.
Had you done better due diligence in the beginning, you might not have opted to accept an offer of employment from this firm.
That, however, didn't happen.
Now, you're stuck with the choice you made.
You've learned, as we all have, that the grass isn't any greener in your neighbor's yard.
You've also learned that the grass (no matter where it may be) still requires attention.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this threat to your livelihood.
Maybe you can return to your old employer?
But, the handwriting is on the wall.
You'd be wise to heed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back