Deadbeat parents

P

Please help

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I have had my niece and nephew, 5 and 10, for close to a year now. No support and now the parents arent even attempting to contact them. Havent heard from either of them since Thanksgiving. I am a mother of two teenage boys and struggle to keep up but I can give them a better life than running with their drug addict mom from house to house, school to school. Or their drug addict dad thats a drifter. Who doesnt want them at all. How do I get custody? I think I can get the mom to sign rights over, but dad will be an isssue. He likes to pretend hes not a deadbeat.

I have had my niece and nephew, 5 and 10, for close to a year now. No support and now the parents arent even attempting to contact them. Havent heard from either of them since Thanksgiving. I am a mother of two teenage boys and struggle to keep up but I can give them a better life than running with their drug addict mom from house to house, school to school. Or their drug addict dad thats a drifter. Who doesnt want them at all. How do I get custody? I think I can get the mom to sign rights over, but dad will be an isssue. He likes to pretend hes not a deadbeat.

Children aren't chattel.
If you want custody, start by contacting child services, report that the children were abandoned by both parents for almost a year.
Ask the caseworker if the agency can assist you in obtaining emergency custody.

Child support, you can forget ever getting a dime.
However, the state will help you do that, too.
Why?
Who knows, these deadbeats could hit the lottery one day.
Anyway, the agency, should they choose to help you will see to it that various forms of assistance are paid to you.

God luck.

Thanks for the response. I am in no way viewing them as property. I just dont want them yanked from where they call home. Just in case mom or dad does get a hair and wants to try again.

Thanks for the response. I am in no way viewing them as property. I just dont want them yanked from where they call home. Just in case mom or dad does get a hair and wants to try again.

Or, the "so called" child services agency.

Back