Daughter born out of wedlock & lives with mom. Do I automatically have sole custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReeRee

My daughter was born out of wedlock in State of New Jersey. Father's name is on birth certificate. My daughter lives with me and I take care of her day to day living. Do I have to file for custody when I file for child support or do I automatically have custody in the State of NJ? Thanks for answering and helping : )

Birth mothers automatically receive presumptive custody. You birth a child, how could it not be yours? By the way, a man's name on a BC often means nothing more than he wishes to be a father. In most states, paternity must be established by DNA testing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

If you are going to ask for child support you would be well off to also obtain a custody/visitation order. Without a custody order there is nothing to prevent the father from refusing to return the child to you. Sooner or later this will be a problem and you will be best off if you can present a court order that indicates where the child belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back