company phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmundt

I have always been a model employee up until a few years ago. I have paid for a few company items out of my pocket without any complaints. Now, due to poor management, I have grown to hate my job. I'm back in school and have a short time to graduate and leave this company I loathe. My issue is this: my supervisor insists that I take the company phone home with me to recharge every night. I refuse to. The company phones have GPS and have our routes preprogramed into them. I feel that since it is company equipment, it is the company's duty to provide charging docks for these phones. I see no difference in taking company phones home to charge, and taking company trucks home to refuel. I know it is pennies, but it is the principle. We are a for-profit company, and us non-exempt employees are not eligible for profit sharing. Can someone show me a flaw in my argument?

I have always been a model employee up until a few years ago. I have paid for a few company items out of my pocket without any complaints. Now, due to poor management, I have grown to hate my job. I'm back in school and have a short time to graduate and leave this company I loathe. My issue is this: my supervisor insists that I take the company phone home with me to recharge every night. I refuse to. The company phones have GPS and have our routes preprogramed into them. I feel that since it is company equipment, it is the company's duty to provide charging docks for these phones. I see no difference in taking company phones home to charge, and taking company trucks home to refuel. I know it is pennies, but it is the principle. We are a for-profit company, and us non-exempt employees are not eligible for profit sharing. Can someone show me a flaw in my argument?

I won't attempt to show you a flaw.

I'll just show you a simple solution.

Take the phone home, but turn it off before you leave the parking lot or get too far away form the building.

You can choose to charge it, or leave it turned off and uncharged.

When you get to work, turn it back on and plug it in to charge.

Most things people fight about, stress about, or worry about aren't worth the fuss.

Get your degree, and give these bullies the old, heave ho.

Until then, don't make waves or ruffles feathers.

They don't need you, you need them and their money for a few more weeks.

If the prior sentence isn't true, then quit tomorrow and give them back their phone.

Either way, the problem is solved.

Can someone show me a flaw in my argument?

That depends on whether or not you care whether you are fired.

Because you can be fired for your refusal; it will be a legal firing; and I'm not at all sure that you will qualify for unemployment (refusing a lawful order of your employer). You still have to get through to graduation.

If you don't care whether you are fired or not, then go ahead and refuse. If you want to keep the job until you have another one, or graduate, then the flaw in your argument is; it doesn't matter whether you think the company should provide charging docks or not; they can legally require you to take the phone home to charge because there is no law that says they cannot. They can fire you for refusing because there is no law that says that they cannot.

I realize the company can fire me for any reason sans a violation of Title VII, and on its face, it would look like a legal termination. But if I were to find a broke lawyer willing to represent me in a wrongful termination suit, don't you think the courts would be cautious of opening a Pandora's Box of employers forcing employees to spend their own money for the company's benefit without reimbursement, or risk being fired? I'm perfectly willing to charge the phone, I just ask that the company provide car chargers, and vehicles that have working accessory plugs. Am I asking too much?

You are if you think you can get a wrongful termination claim out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back