Cheating, unemployed husband won't leave - What can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjo1411

I have a divorce questions for my mother. There are four people in the household - my mother, her husband, and us (her two college-aged children.) She recently discovered that he was having an affair. She convinced him to agree to their own terms to divide property and will file for divorce within the next couple of days. They have one home in Colorado and an investment property in Arkansas. Their agreement is for her to take over all of the Colorado assets, and he will take over everything in Arkansas.

My stepfather has been unemployed for the last five years (no reason, just not motivated to work). As such, my mother has been making payments on both of their homes as well as all of his personal expenditures (truck payment, cell phones, etc.). Because he is unemployed, he is not able to pay for the Arkansas property mortgage. She is being forced to pay for everything until the divorce is finalized in order to save her credit.

He refuses to leave the home in Colorado because he says that he has nowhere to go/doesn't have the financial resources to move out. He is continuing to talk to the woman with whom he is having an affair, is staying rent-free and using the food/utilities/other expenses all on my mother's dime. The fact that my mother has to watch him cheat on her while he stays in the household that she is providing for 100% is taking a heavy emotional toll on my mother.

She seems to think that she can't force him out of the house until the divorce is finalized - 6 months or more. Everybody in the house is miserable and I don't think this situation can be maintained for the long, drawn-out divorce process. Is there anything that can be done in the meantime?

Your mother is correct.
She can't force him out of their home.
Only a judge could order him to leave.
As long as there is no domestic violence (adultery doesn't qualify), no judge will order him out, either.

What you've described, you should use to select a mate when you're in the market.

Yes, he's her bum, but she married him.
She also kept his lazy carcASS around for the last five years.

She isn't rid of him, yet.
Let mom handle her own affairs.
If she doesn't have an attorney, you should suggest she speak to one.

But, as long as the deadbeat isn't violent, he ain't gonna be going nowhere, soon!

Sounds like my life. Only own one property and my sons are both away at school. I will be the one to leave. The hurt begins will splitting up my dogs. I can only take one because I will have to rent and planning to leave the state. There was much physical and emotional abuse which the emotional continues to this day. He also told me he will sue me for alimony because he doesn't work. He is not sick, just lazy. And my heart is broken for my male shepherd because he will give him away!
The one thing I can say I tried to save the marriage with counseling, etc. problem is he has no remorse. The discovery of his affair involved police, a weapon his mistress said he bought to kill me and my suicide attempt. His mistress is an attorney and also married. He actually told me she was the one. Nice guy huh?
I live in NJ and if I stay in this house any longer I will fall back into the rabbit hole and I refuse to let that happen. But since he has drained me emotionally and financially, I just want to leave. It's for my own well being. We sleep in separate rooms.
How can anyone be so evil?

Yes I did marry him and I accept that it was a big mistake. He did work when we were first married. And honestly I never thought he was the "cheating type" I was dead wrong. But I went into this marriage with hope that we would build a life together. Isn't that everyone's expectation when you fall in love? I doubt that you(disagreeable) can negate that!
Well, I am leaving and told him both dogs are going with me because I will take care of him. My husband got fired from yet another job since I wrote this 1st post. So he has shown me he can't take care of himself he can't take care of one of our dogs!!
As I will continue to work as a nurse, find a nice place to rent, he will live in the truck that I paid off!!!
Truly a narcissistic loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back