Can the landlord let me in if I'm still on the lease

L

Ladyjet87

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Me and my husband have been separated since March 2016 I have been living with family since until we figure things out. We are not legally separated. I just refuse to live with him because of his emotional abuse. We have three kids. I had him drive to pick up the kids for thanksgiving break and I caught the greyhound back to Indianapolis. I stayed with a family member until I was ready to go over my husband house to get some of my things. I asked him could he leave the key in the mailbox he refused saying I'm no longer his woman and he's not leaving the key. I want to know if I'm still on the lease and the utilities are still in my name does the landlord have to let me in or can he legally let me in ?

If you're on the lease and married, you have as much right to enter the home as he does.

However, that might not be smart or safe to do without the police doing a "civil standby".

I want to know if I'm still on the lease and the utilities are still in my name does the landlord have to let me in or can he legally let me in ?

He doesn't "have to" let you in. He can simply decline to get involved in your marital business as I would have done when I was a landlord.

I suggest that it's time for you to get a lawyer and file for divorce.

Stop this foolishness of thinking you have reason not to.

Don't you have a key to your own leased premises? If you're on the lease you have a legal right to enter and use the premises but, as others have suggested, this is an issue that seems to require perspective and appropriate conduct over purely legal remedies. And what confuses me is why you are referring to what is supposedly your jointly leased property your husband's place.

Back