Can my parents throw me out in NJ if I refuse to take mood stabilizer as a disabled adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieyKat

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Basically because sometimes life isn't always pleasant because I have PTSD, bi polar, and anxiety disorder. I'm 31 years old. My parents want to force me to take mood stabilizers or throw me out. I live in New Jersey. What are my rights when I have legally lived here for 3-4 years? I don't pay rent but I'm emotionally disabled.

You are essentially a tenant. Your parents may evict you but can not legally throw you out without going through the procedure for eviction.
Yes, they can kick you out but it is a slow process.

Basically because sometimes life isn't always pleasant because I have PTSD, bi polar, and anxiety disorder. I'm 31 years old. My parents want to force me to take mood stabilizers or throw me out. I live in New Jersey. What are my rights when I have legally lived here for 3-4 years? I don't pay rent but I'm emotionally disabled.

If your condition forces you to threaten or physically bring harm to your parents, your removal from their home can be hastened.

The fact that you ave an affliction offers you no protections from being evicted or otherwise removed from their home.

You are an adult.

Your parents owe you no special duties because you are their adult daughter.

I suggest you reconsider your choices, as you're doing yourself no favor by being obstinate, recalcitrant, and refusing to follow the orders of your physician.

If your condition forces you to threaten or physically bring harm to your parents, your removal from their home can be hastened.

The fact that you ave an affliction offers you no protections from being evicted or otherwise removed from their home.

You are an adult.

I suggest you reconsider your choices, as you're doing yourself no favor by being obstinate, recalcitrant, and refusing to follow the orders of your physician.
I am following the orders of my physician my physician doesn't want me on anymore medication because I'm prescribe marijuana I also take Kolonopin and I'm on Suboxone because I used to be a heroin addict. I don't start fights I don't get physical I do nothing against the law. Basically anytime I have a mood swing they think it's the end of the world. I was classified as a child and I've been disabled since I've been an adult.

You are an adult.

Ntm it's really insulting that you assume I potentially physically threatened to or harm my parents that is not the case at all the case is that they don't want to take care of a disabled person anymore and they want to try to hold the house against me to control me.

Ntm it's really insulting that you assume I potentially physically threatened to or harm my parents that is not the case at all the case is that they don't want to take care of a disabled person anymore and they want to try to hold the house against me to control me.

You're an adult.
Your parents are NOT legally required to house, feed, or care for you.
In fact, many parents are pleased as punch to watch their children become adults.
Being disabled doesn't confer any special status upon you, nor does it imply your parents owe you any duty of care.

You're free to make your own choices, as are your parents.

I'm disabled, and choose to make my way in this world.
I was disabled in combat, and don't burden the world with my pain.

No one owes me anything, I don't ask for it, nor do I seek it.
I simply play the hand life dealt me.

If there is no court order that makes them responsible for you, then you are a legal adult, free to take care of yourself. They can't force you to take any medication you don't want to, but at the same time they have no legal obligation to allow you to live with them either. They may have to go through a legal eviction to make you leave, but trust me, you do not want a legal eviction on your record.

The bottom line here is that if they've decided you can't live with them unless you take that particular medication, your options are to take the medication or move out. If you don't take the medication (and I am not saying you should; that's between you and your doctor) and they stick to their guns, you WILL be out sooner or later, either with an eviction making it harder for you to find something else, or without one.

You're an adult.
Your parents are NOT legally required to house, feed, or care for you.
In fact, many parents are pleased as punch to watch their children become adults.
Being disabled doesn't confer any special status upon you, nor does it imply your parents owe you any duty of care.

You're free to make your own choices, as are your parents.

I'm disabled, and choose to make my way in this world.
I was disabled in combat, and don't burden the world with my pain.

No one owes me anything, I don't ask for it, nor do I seek it.
I simply play the hand life dealt me.

We got ourselves a troll here. I was born disabled I didn't fight in a war that I chose to in order to get PTSD. I didn't choose to be molested at 3 or raped when I was a virgin. I don't feel entitled and I don't think that my parents have to take care of me for the rest of my life but they try because I can't take care of myself and there's no homeless shelters in this County anyway. I just moved back in a month ago I haven't lived here most of my adult life I always had a roommate that never turned out bad my family is abusive my dad beat me growing up and I just have to sit here and take it. All because I can't afford to live on my own due to disability and I've been trying to get housing for a long time. When I was young they took me away from my family because of the abuse and I lived in a group home. My question was not am I entitled to the world because I'm disabled my question was can they my question was not am I entitled to the world because I'm disabled my question was can they force me can they force me to take medications I got my answer and I also spoke with the police. My parents are under the impression that they can just throw me out at any time and that's not true there has to be an eviction process like everyone else said. So quit trolling my question.

How can I report abuse? Or do I just have to let my family abuse me? There are no homeless shelters here in my county and they won't accept you in other counties. I honestly don't know how to even begin to try to get housing. Do you know anything about section 8? Oh and did I mention my disability comes from my father's benefit. Does that make a difference?

My parents are under the impression that they can just throw me out at any time and that's not true there has to be an eviction process like everyone else said.

THEY CAN throw you out at any time, but to do it legally they would have to go through the eviction process.
It is not uncommon for people to get thrown out without an eviction.

Why do you live with your parents? Have they been named legal guardians to you? If no, then they can kick you out whenever they want. Do you get any disability for being "emotionally disabled?"

If there is no court order that makes your parents your legal guardians as an adult then they can kick you out of the house. Too bad it insults you - it was a logical assumption to make that you COULD be physically threatening to your parents.

They don't have control over you legally. You are an adult. They can make you leave the house and make you stay out. If you can't take care of yourself, you may need to go find a group home or some kind of assisted living.

We got ourselves a troll here. I was born disabled I didn't fight in a war that I chose to in order to get PTSD. I didn't choose to be molested at 3 or raped when I was a virgin. I don't feel entitled and I don't think that my parents have to take care of me for the rest of my life but they try because I can't take care of myself and there's no homeless shelters in this County anyway. I just moved back in a month ago I haven't lived here most of my adult life I always had a roommate that never turned out bad my family is abusive my dad beat me growing up and I just have to sit here and take it. All because I can't afford to live on my own due to disability and I've been trying to get housing for a long time. When I was young they took me away from my family because of the abuse and I lived in a group home. My question was not am I entitled to the world because I'm disabled my question was can they my question was not am I entitled to the world because I'm disabled my question was can they force me can they force me to take medications I got my answer and I also spoke with the police. My parents are under the impression that they can just throw me out at any time and that's not true there has to be an eviction process like everyone else said. So quit trolling my question.

You need to stop replying to comments and not posting anything. No AJ is not a troll. He's actually been a lawyer probably longer than you have been alive. I would take his advice.

None of us really "chose" to fight in war. We chose to volunteer in the military. Not everyone goes to combat. And PTSD isn't only from combat even for military members. Many people suffer from MST and PTSD from sexual assaults.

If your parents are so abusive why would you CHOOSE to live with them?

You had your question answered multiple times - YES your parents can kick you, an adult, out of their home. No they cannot force you to take medication.

You should look up the definition of internet troll too.

How can I report abuse? Or do I just have to let my family abuse me? There are no homeless shelters here in my county and they won't accept you in other counties. I honestly don't know how to even begin to try to get housing. Do you know anything about section 8? Oh and did I mention my disability comes from my father's benefit. Does that make a difference?

There's this magical tool (that you are using right now) called the Internet that can answer your questions on resources in your area.

If you're abused call the police and remove yourself from the situation since you're an adult.

I live here because I have nowhere to go otherwise why would I Stay. And for the other person who asked yes obviously I'm on disability I've been disabled since I was a child I get benefits under my father. I was told that I had certain rights I wanted to know what they were simple this doesn't have to be a conflict but I know you lawyers love arguing

I'm sick and tired of the fact that homeowners can just do whatever the fuck they want to their children when they're adults and get away with it and everyone tries to make it like I'm the person putting them in danger they are in no danger never have been but I have by them my entire life. I love how you all assumed that because I'm mentally ill I'm the one with the problem here my parents are in danger I asked you an unbiased question in which most of you replied in such a way While others felt the need to try to put me in my place so to speak when you have no idea what goes on in my house and I do it because it's 16 degrees outside and I have nowhere to go I've been homeless before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back