Can I move to another state if I have shared custody with the father?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msotas

My daughter lives in New York and has joint custody of her daughter with my ex son-in-law. He has visitation rights during the week and every other weekend. She has lost her job, her house, and has no family or friend support in New York and would like to move to Texas. What can she do about the custody arrangement and is it even possible for her to even consider relocation to another state?

My daughter lives in New York and has joint custody of her daughter with my ex son-in-law. He has visitation rights during the week and every other weekend. She has lost her job, her house, and has no family or friend support in New York and would like to move to Texas. What can she do about the custody arrangement and is it even possible for her to even consider relocation to another state?

She can move where ever she wishes. She needs to file for a modification in custody so that Dad is Primary Custodial Parent and she should also submit a long distance visitation plan.

She will need to find out what the procedure is in her state to move. Most likely she will have to serve Dad the notice to relocate and Dad can dispute the move and ask for custody. This is not going to be a fast and easy, or cheap process and in the end, she might not be able to move the child. She should see an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back