Can I file now instead of waiting 1 year?

Sarah Stark

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi

I kicked my abusive husband of 2 years out on July 20th 2022. I filed a legal separation on July 25th 2022 to try and qualify for assistance (I did not due to his expensive car being in my name. I racked up a lot of debt throughout the relationship as well so I had to file for bankruptcy in November. I just got my discharge a little over a week ago). We have no shared assets or children (although I have a preteen son from a previous marriage). His car was surrendered to the bank.

Because of his abusive nature, I've blocked all contact and he's only able to speak to me through a 3rd party. But every few months he's tried to bully me through this 3rd party to speed up the process and "file already."

I've explained that with the legal separation in place, we need to wait a year before we could use it as grounds for divorce. He's accused me of being dishonest about this. The whole thing is odd given the fact that I was the one to initiate the separation and say I wanted a divorce in the first place, but this behavior is typical for him. He now says he's moving out of state in 3 months and wants "the divorce done by then."

My question is—can I file now under different grounds just to get him off my back and finally close that chapter of my life? I was hoping to use the uncontested NY divorce program because we have no shared assets or children. He's not a nice or trustworthy guy but I don't think he'll contest it since he signed the separation agreement (which won't differ much as far as the terms go).

If I can't file now, how will his moving affect the process?

Thank you in advance.

I've explained that with the legal separation in place, we need to wait a year before we could use it as grounds for divorce.

I am unclear why you pursuing this legal route. Wouldn't irretrievable breakdown of the relationship have been easier? Residency and Grounds for a Divorce | NY CourtHelp

Since you have not mentioned a restraining order, and you haven't been acting like you have one, I will assume that you do not, in fact, have a restraining order. If you choose to go with cruelty, it's good to have documentation, since some people don't like to agree to that. When people don't agree, you end up with a contested divorce, and the potential of a trial. Trials are expensive.

What effect your STBX's move has on the process depends on where he moves to. He could move to a state where he is able to fairly quickly file for divorce.

I am unclear why you pursuing this legal route. Wouldn't irretrievable breakdown of the relationship have been easier? Residency and Grounds for a Divorce | NY CourtHelp

Since you have not mentioned a restraining order, and you haven't been acting like you have one, I will assume that you do not, in fact, have a restraining order. If you choose to go with cruelty, it's good to have documentation, since some people don't like to agree to that. When people don't agree, you end up with a contested divorce, and the potential of a trial. Trials are expensive.

What effect your STBX's move has on the process depends on where he moves to. He could move to a state where he is able to fairly quickly file for divorce.
Yes it would have been. It was initially done for financial reasons. I would now prefer divorcing under those grounds (not cruelty) and try to keep it as amicable as possible. Can I go with those grounds now, even though I've filed the legal separation only 8 months ago?

Last edited:
Because of his abusive nature, I've blocked all contact and he's only able to speak to me through a 3rd party. But every few months he's tried to bully me through this 3rd party to speed up the process and "file already."

Have you considered SEVERING ALL CONTACT with the savage, brutal beast?

There is no need for the brutal bully to speak to you about anything.

You have ZERO need to speak to him, either.

I suggest communicating via your respective attorneys.

What, neither of you have an attorney?

Easy solution, don't communicate or acknowledge him at all.

You have no minor children.

He's a leech and deadbeat.

There should be nothing of an emergency nature that he needs to tell you, that he can't wait to hear it from the Judge.

He's out of your life.
I'd keep it that way.

Yes it would have been. It was initially done for financial reasons. I would now prefer divorcing under those grounds (not cruelty) and try to keep it as amicable as possible. Can I go with those grounds now, even though I've filed the legal separation only 8 months ago?
You made your choice - now wait the 4 months. What's the hurry (on your part)? Why are you STILL letting the guy control you?

If he thinks it's possible to file for divorce now, why doesn't he just do it? Nothing would stop him from doing it. I suspect he's just impatient and wants to vent that impatience on you even though he knows of the state rule on the timing for filing.

I went that route orig
If he thinks it's possible to file for divorce now, why doesn't he just do it? Nothing would stop him from doing it. I suspect he's just impatient and wants to vent that impatience on you even though he knows of the state rule on the timing for filing.

He's "incapable" (read: entitled and lazy) of doing anything that involves paperwork, paying bills on time or normal adult responsibilities. It was my "job" to take care of everything. I even did the guy's taxes. My credit is shot thanks to his coercion and my ignorance (at the time), but I am slowly rebuilding my finances. There's no rush on my part. I'm enjoying single hood and my independence. Posting here has helped me see he's still controlling me—thank you everyone for responding. I've told the 3rd party to no longer send me any of his messages, and if he tries to pester me again…to just tell him to expect the paperwork in early August. I'm done going above and beyond for the sake of him.

Thanks again.

You're right. The only reason I'm trying to rush the process now is because I fear his anger. But I'm done going out of my way. Thank you for reminding me.

You might choose to investigate how to obtain an "order of protection".

Read how its done in your state, NY, and the five borough metropolitan area.

How to Get an Order of Protection - No Contact Order | NYC Bar

Orders of Protection Basics | NY CourtHelp

Orders of Protection

Order of Protection · NYC311

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/services/victim-services/resources-services-orders-protection.page
... ... ... ///... \\\... <><>

Back