Can a Juvenile be Charged as an Adult for theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelballardo

My jurisdiction is: Arizona

I'm currently in the process of being charged as an Adult for felony theft charges (Class 3), however currently I'm 17 years old, turn 18 in December. I was wondering if It's possible to be tried as an adult? I've never had any trouble with the law until now, I recently returned to AZ from BCT (Basic Combat Training) not too long ago; upon arrival I really didn't have anything, no place to live or family that would take me in, so I've lived with my gf since then. I was in desperate need for money, unfortunately that resulted in me stealing from my previous employer, I was trying to make a headstart in life, but did it the wrong way and now I'm paying the price. The amount added up to somwhere around $20,000, when I was caught all but one item was returned, and they're actually in the process of getting the last one back, so there's a good chance all will be returned, if not I told them I'd be willing to pay for that last item. What I really want to know is if there's a possibility in the charges being dropped or the case being dismissed, I'm more worried about finding jobs more off than being convicted. I know it says that I could face up to 5 yrs in prison, but they've also said that probation is probably a more probable outcome, is this true?

Thanks in advance

I was wondering if It's possible to be tried as an adult?
A theft of $20K . . .you bet it's possible

You are looking at serious charges indeed

Get a lawyer and take his advice

Even if everything is returned you can still be prosecuted

What I really want to know is if there's a possibility in the charges being dropped or the case being dismissed,
Depends on how good a case the Prosecutor has. It is unlikely
that charges will be dropped or dismissed

It's important you made restitution, the courts will look favorably upon that. I know of people who have done similar things, and they didn't serve prison time, but had to do an amazing amount of community service, and keep clean for 5 years with testing, etc.
Are you military? That may help with some Judges as well. Of course, what the prosecutor wants is extremely important, as is what the victim wants.

However, States and places in States do vary a great deal! I know some places in Arizona are extremely severe, a la "Sherriff Joe" in AZ.

Are you military? That may help with some Judges as well
I doubt it. . . he should have known better otherwise

And will face a military penalty if judged guilty,
judged no guilty he might face UCMJ . . . i.e. conduct
unbecoming a soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back