Can a company fire US citizen after they find cheap foreign worker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebian2000

I am US citizen. I was employed as technology consultant initially for 3 months contract to work offsite (from home). During the middle of the contract they liked my work and told me they would extend my contract to 2 more months. But all this changed once they found remote indian programmers working from india (without any visa to work in usa)for much lower rate. My hourly is comparable to prevailing market rate for a US citizen. That day they told me i am the most expensive resource and suddenly terminated my contract without advance notice. Is this legal? Do I have a good legal case? I believe this is clear violation of US labor laws. The company is US company located in Colorado and its a publishing company and I was involved with IT division of the company also located in Colorado. All the managers I worked with during the project are located in Colorado.

You can be terminated without rhyme or reason or even notice.

Most of those contracts don't require notice.

Review yours, just in case.

If there is a notice provision (don't bet the farm on it), you might have some recourse.

Otherwise, you might be disadvantaged by their actions, but you haven't been legally damaged.

What about the US labour laws that says US citizen have the priority for a job and if no qualified US citizen is found then the foreign worker (who must also obtain legal authorization to work according to immigration laws) who is hired must be given prevailing wages for US citizen for that type of job?

What about the US labour laws that says US citizen have the priority for a job and if no qualified US citizen is found then the foreign worker (who must also obtain legal authorization to work according to immigration laws) who is hired must be given prevailing wages for US citizen for that type of job?

Haha, that is meaningless. Just a passing thought. Look at what happened to you.

Seriously, an employer doesn't need a reason to terminate you. What you had was more of a work agreement, rather than a contract.

At any rate, my opinion is of no value in your dispute. If you feel wronged, sue the bastards. You'll lose, but you'll get your day in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back