can a college workplace do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyna

I am an adjunct employee / instructor at heald college. On Monday night I was in a car accident on my way home from teaching. My husband contacted the college to let them know I was also in an accident. they contacted the hospital I was at but was transfered to another hospital. I was released today... 2 days later and my immediate supervisor said I dont work there any more. When I called corporate they told me they called the hospital and was told I was not a patient there. I called my doctor and he said they dont give out information like that due to HIPPA laws. My doctor said get an attourney ASAP.
The college wants me pass over my discahrge papers with doctors note.

You can hire an attorney to represent your interests for about $3,500 to $5,000, give or take a $1,000.

The attorney will negotiate in your behalf to get you reinstated.

Or, you can speak with your employer and provide proof of your hospitalization. Your discharge papers should be sufficient. Federal privacy laws don't require you to disclose why you were hospitalized or treated. The employer knows they are no longer allowed to inquire as to the nature of your illness or injury.

You could supplement the hospital discharge notice with the police account of the accident. Both documents and your explanation of events should persuade the employer to rescind their previous decision and order your immediate reinstatement.

I am not accusing you of anything nefarious or untoward. But, were you unconscious the entire 48 hours of your hospital stay? Was your accident in anyway related to excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages or other substances? You need not answer this, I only mention it because there might have been exaggerated press accounts published of the incident. If that occurred, consider retaining an attorney, if you desire reinstatement. If not, simply do as I described, hereinabove, and save yourself some "Benjamins"!

Funny thing is I was already told I am not teaching next term and this was last week of classes. Also I was in and out of being concious until the last 24 hours.

I do not know what to do for I am not looking to be reinstated per se.... I just want to protect my reputation

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE IN ADVANCE

NOWAY _NO DRUGS OR ANYTHINGLIKE THAT. I WAS SICK ALREADY AND THEY COULDNOT FIND ME A SUB THAT DAY. I WAS RUNNING A FEVER THAT NIGHT - possibly did not help things with the accident- I blacked out.

Funny thing is I was already told I am not teaching next term and this was last week of classes. Also I was in and out of being concious until the last 24 hours.

I do not know what to do for I am not looking to be reinstated per se.... I just want to protect my reputation

ashleyna said:
NOWAY _NO DRUGS OR ANYTHINGLIKE THAT. I WAS SICK ALREADY AND THEY COULDNOT FIND ME A SUB THAT DAY. I WAS RUNNING A FEVER THAT NIGHT - possibly did not help things with the accident- I blacked out.

I don't see a remedy for you other than what I've suggested. Why nit speak with a couple of local attorneys? The initial consultation is normally provided gratis. Perhaps one of them might be able to offer a better solution for you.

I certainly hope your health improves. Make sure you seek medical assistance. It's no fun being ill or out of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back