Bullied at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

pars

I work in a convinient store and everyday I come in to work I am harrassed by my boss and the assissitant manager. There are constant insults and insinuation that I am incompetent and insults equovalent to me being stupid and them being superior. The thing that gets me is that I have never been written up and the managers can never tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong. Everyday it's, "She's crazy", "She's stupid" along with the whispers and it seems these people only communicate orders and insult to me. I ignore everything said for the most part because I don't want to become too involved with this. The behavior has spread through out the work place until the point nothing I say has merit. Everyone sees me as a person to avoid and new co-workers who were nice to me before are not now because they learned from the rest of the workplace. There is a ridiculous amount of gossip concerning me and the manager said in front everyone that I was being watched. Every night the managers roll the camera tape back only on me I guess because they think I steal or think I am not working...I don't know what they think, but it's crazy, they're are driving me crazy because they are crazy. The stress from what may be bullying is making me not even want to show up to work. It drags me down to go in and I feel that this may be affecting my well-being. What do I do?

This is a bad place to work,since convince store jobs are very prevalent,my advice is seek a new job preferably with higher pay. Once you are hired just quite,forget the two week notice. This type of employer does not rate that courtesy.

I have to agree with Green Hornet here. What you have described sounds like a lousy place to work, but nothing you have posted meets the legal definition of illegal harassment. It is not illegal to be a jerk.

While you may work at a 'lousy' place, you do not have to be bullied.
If your manager is calling you names, allows or intices other employees to do the same, you should contact the EEOC explain in detail to them your situation. They can help you.

The EEOC does not deal in cases of general bullying. Unless the behavior is rooted in the employee's race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or being over 40, the EEOC will not take any action.

If you are not willing to quit you could try and be a little more assertive by responding to the negative comments with "I do not deserve nor appreciate being spoken to in that manner and I want you to stop." Say it repeatedly, and I mean repeatedly every time an inappropriate comment is made. You may gain their respect, then again you may get more harrassment but at least you'll be standing up for yourself and gain a little self dignity. Good luck! You could also speak to corporate office and ask for a transfer to another store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back