Being Fired and Employer Says I won't get unemployment benefits

Rapaza1

I have been in my current position for 4 months. In the last two weeks, the partners have verbally attacked me in front of my coworkers regarding my work. There has been no written communication regarding or any meeting regarding my work performance. Today, I decided to speak to the partner to have a conversation on where I stand. During this meeting I was fired for poor performance. The partner told me that I can stay till tax season ends. He also told me that I would not receive unemployment benefits since it would not be fair to the firm. At the end of the day I emailed the partner asking him to confirm the last day of employment and to provide evidence of written performance reviews. He proceeded in writing letting me know that after I approached them for a meeting, they were letting me know that they were very disappointed in my work and that my work as a CPA was substandard. I have also found out that they have read my work emails and even contacted my husband telling him to mind his business among other harassing items. They sent this email using my work email while I was not in the office. What are my rights?

Your employer doesn't decide if you get UI benefits or not - the state does. Your employer can contest payment but the state decides if you qualify.

Rapaza, it isn't unusual for things sometimes not to work out.
No one knows why, but certain people are like gasoline and matches, they should never be placed near each other.
I'm sure you are as sick of them, as they claim to be sick of you.
As Betty said, the state will decide the issue of unemployment insurance.
Know this, doing what they term "poor work", or their disappointment in your work doesn't mean much.
People get terminated everyday.
Generally as long as the termination is for what some term under par, substandard work, or poor performance; you might not be disqualified from receiving UI benefits.
So, shake it off, and find yourself another great job.
You are obviously talented and smart. Earning the CPA designation isn't easy, good on you.
Good luck to you.

If you have only worked there for 4 months, you may not qualify for UI. Much depends on your work history prior to that. Still apply. It is not for your employer to decide. Nothing you describe is illegal. It is strange they would contact your husband but they have the right to check company emails and monitor company computer use. No law requires a performance review let alone entitles you to a copy of a written one. Having been there for so short a time, I would be surprised if such a thing even existed.

If OP worked elsewhere previously (depending on when), OP may still qualify for UI but it's the state's decision based on whether she qualifies "financially" & on the reason for the termination.

Back