Back child support relinquishment

N

Jurisdiction
Texas
My ex & I agreed in 2009 to terminate my parental rights & child was adopted by her husband. We agreed in emails with her & her lawyer that after adoption she would relinquish back child support. During the adoption process, she moved & it was transferred & delayed almost 2 yrs, all while continuing to acrue monthly support payments. It totals around $13000 with all the late fees. About a year ago I spoke to her & she said again that she would go to court for relinquishment, then she went radio silent. I haven't been able to get a response for over a year & last week got a letter saying I cannot register my car when it is due. Why legal options do I have, if any?

My ex & I agreed in 2009 to terminate my parental rights & child was adopted by her husband. We agreed in emails with her & her lawyer that after adoption she would relinquish back child support. During the adoption process, she moved & it was transferred & delayed almost 2 yrs, all while continuing to acrue monthly support payments. It totals around $13000 with all the late fees. About a year ago I spoke to her & she said again that she would go to court for relinquishment, then she went radio silent. I haven't been able to get a response for over a year & last week got a letter saying I cannot register my car when it is due. Why legal options do I have, if any?

I suggest you contact the Child Support Collection Agency in Texas.
Why?
Because you'll learn what many others have learned, that relinquishing your parental rights doesn't mean you can extinguish the child support you owe.
You'll also learn that one parent may forgive what is owed, but the state doesn't forget and never forgives.

You got snookered pal.

There ain't never no free lunch.

You can't extinguish money you owe any government UNLESS you die.

Good luck....

People fail to realize child support and rights are two different things. Terminating your parental rights makes you legally a stranger to the child meaning no more visitation primarily. But child support is a completely separate beast from that all together.

Once those rights are terminated you no longer owe support. Up until then, you do. You chose not to pay in violation of the court order. A verbal agreement does not trump a court order. You could have and should have filed for a modification of the order while the termination and such was pending.

I think he still owes the back support even with parental rights terminated. Their kid being adopted by stepdad means no future child support come from bio dad. But I don't think it erases back support.

I think he still owes the back support even with parental rights terminated. Their kid being adopted by stepdad means no future child support come from bio dad. But I don't think it erases back support.

You're correct.
Child support obligations that one owes and is unpaid is extinguished only upon the death of the party owing the debt.
Parental rights have nothing to do with parental responsibilities.

Back