Americans With Disabilities Act - Reasonable Accommodation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g1984

I am working for a company and am disabled... I am working at a contract unit (foodservice) and my hours were recently cut back and the entity we do work under contract with also changed their schedule so we have to do what we do and have it ready 24 minutes earlier than previously... I start work an hour later than I used to and we have to have the food ready to serve almost a half hour earlier than we used to... I can't work fast enough on account of my disability. I am working myself sick... I know I am capable of doing the work just not in the time I have to do it... if I could start work even just 1/2 hour earlier than I currently do I know I would be able to get the work done, and I would be willing to take a pay cut in order to facilitate this... would this count as reasonable accommodation under the ADA, and if so how would I go about making this request? Thanks in Advance.

What would be considered a reasonable accomodation is too employer- and situation-specific for a message board to say. What is reasonable in one situation may not be reasonable for another. For example, it might be reasonable to let a data entry clerk start work at 10 and stay till 6 since it doesn't much matter when the data is entered as long as it is, but it would not be reasonable to allow the receptionist to work hours that do not conform to when the switchboard is open.

You will need to talk to your employer about whether or not the accomodation you request would be reasonable in your specific situation. Keep in mind that even if your condition is considered to be covered under the ADA, you are not guaranteed the accomodation you want; only one that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back