Almost 10 Years After Death, Trust is Still Not Settled

PR660

Jurisdiction
California
Don't think that a Trust will guarantee smooth sailing of asset distribution upon death...

Mom had an irrevocable trust drawn up with her home (our childhood home) as the only asset. There were no debts. The beneficiaries were/are her two children with the eldest as the Trustee. She passed in 2014 when an attorney was retained by the Trustee. I attended the very bizarre initial meeting. That day, I advised Trustee to seek counsel elsewhere, and handed her a list of 9-10 other attorneys. I also phoned the attorney's office and informed them we would be seeking other counsel.

Lo and behold,
this attorney phoned the bereaving and vulnerable Trustee and persuaded her to come and sign the retainer. A mutual friend overheard the conversation and told me that the lawyer was playing the "religion card."

Fast forward to 2015 where the home was listed by the attorney's RE contact and sold for a little over $2mil. Subsequently, I contacted the attorney's office several times (including certified mail) for an update where I received no replies. Three and six months later, I again contacted, without any replies. Whenever I contacted the Trustee, they would say, "Talk to the attorney..."

I eventually received a brief email reply saying that "everything takes time, blah blah blah..."

Fast forward to 2019, I contacted the attorney's office via email and certified mail asking for an update and a copy of the Trust Accounting. I sent two more certified letters. The third one threatened legal recourse. I received a reply, and three months later, I finally received the Trust Accounting with a form for me to sign for release within ten days. I examined the document and said, "Not so fast!"

Listed in the accounting: Attorney's fees were $139,000? There was a short-term loan originated on Trust assets (by the Trustee) in the amount of $300,000 which cost the Trust $65,000 in fees and expenses. I lived on the property while cleaning up and disposing 50 years of accumulated items, doing repairs, etc. There was rent charged to me for $35,000.

I had several attorneys examine and ended up retaining a reputable firm who, among other things, asked the said attorney to provide records, giving extensions of time, but it never happened. We were forced to file 'Objections to the Trust Accounting.'

Here we are in mid 2023 and this has still not been resolved. In fact, Trustee's new counsel, has billed the Trust an additional $110,000 since our filing in 2019. We also discovered that what's left of this chunk of change has been sitting doing NOTHING all these years, through the greatest bull-market in history!

Oh and another little (actually BIG) added note, to this day, I've spent going-on $78,000 OUT OF POCKET in fees on this case since 2019.

Any thoughts and insights are very much welcomed.

Thanks for reading!

Any thoughts and insights are very much welcomed.

Thanks for reading!

You, mate, have encountered many challenges over the past couple decades.

Hang in there, life rarely goes as we wish or intend.

Fate's fickle finger seems to dole out many unwanted helpings of woe.

Hold on, the sun wakes those who survive the night.

If we live, we have an opportunity to fix what fate has destroyed or misplaced.

That said, Alex Murdaugh isn't the only attorney that stole and/or misappropriated client funds.

Alex Murdaugh's law firm missed millions in thefts. What went wrong?

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073...-carolina-attorneys-request-to-reduce-7m-bail

Former South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh indicted on 27 new crimes

Thought #1: Since you weren't and aren't the trustee, you seem to have overstepped your bounds at the start of things. Thought #2: You probably should have taken action much earlier than you did. Thought #3: You're represented by your own attorney, and that is the person from whom you should be seeking thoughts and insights. Folks on an internet message board, who have only the briefest recitation of facts, and who have reviewed no documents aren't going to be able to provide meaningful insight.

Thought #1: Since you weren't and aren't the trustee, you seem to have overstepped your bounds at the start of things. Thought #2: You probably should have taken action much earlier than you did. Thought #3: You're represented by your own attorney, and that is the person from whom you should be seeking thoughts and insights. Folks on an internet message board, who have only the briefest recitation of facts, and who have reviewed no documents aren't going to be able to provide meaningful insight.

Thank you for your feedback. I always like to learn more about these sorts of things.

About #1: "Since you weren't and aren't the trustee, you seem to have overstepped your bounds at the start of things."

Could you please tell me which particular action (or actions) would have been considered "overstepping?"

About #2: "You probably should have taken action much earlier than you did."

By action, I'm assuming you're referring to my retention of legal counsel.
I assume that people in the profession are generally well-intended, I often give them the benefit of the doubt. I was wrong in this instance. In addition, I met with and discussed the case with close to a dozen law firms before settling on the one I retained. This took quite a bit of time.

About #3: "You're represented by your own attorney, and that is the person from whom you should be seeking thoughts and insights.

Yes, we've discussed and have had several meetings and lunches over this. He (and his firm) are aggressive and positive and I've been assured, in the end, Trustee (via Trustee surcharge) will be paying for ALL the legal fees as a result of this case, including my out-of-pocket expenses. The crooked first attorney has already paid back half of what she stole, but according to him, will be paying back more.

I agree with your comment, "Folks on an internet message board, who have only the briefest recitation of facts, and who have reviewed no documents aren't going to be able to provide meaningful insight."

I always like to hear what other people's immediate thoughts and/or insights are on things from a "face-value" perspective of the facts presented...

I hope I didn't waste anybody's time. The post was meant to inform typical folks out there that my mother and most people like her, draft these expensive legal documents to avoid any problems, hassles and delays associated with the execution of their estate plan. I can tell you that my mother is not too happy with what's gone on. My father, on the other hand, is beyond livid!

He (and his firm) are aggressive and positive and I've been assured, in the end, Trustee (via Trustee surcharge) will be paying for ALL the legal fees as a result of this case, including my out-of-pocket expenses.
I find it odd that your attorney has made a guarantee of a favorable outcome.

I can tell you that my mother is not too happy with what's gone on. My father, on the other hand, is beyond livid!

Hmmmm

The beneficiaries were/are her two children with the eldest as the Trustee. She passed in 2014 when an attorney was retained by the Trustee.

Hmmmm

Don't think that a Trust will guarantee smooth sailing of asset distribution upon death

Don't think that everyone's outcome will be similar to yours.

I know for a fact that my parents' trust disbursed their assets as they desired.

I, as trustee, retained an excellent attorney to ensure their holdings were dispensed as they desired. Mother outlived father by 10 odd years.

One size rarely fits all, because each of us is unique.

Please accept my condolences upon the passing of your mother and father.

Back