accused of theft at restaurant workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

server

I have been confronted and questioned at work (restaurant ) regarding theft in the form of using fake gift certificates entered into computer system. Basically saying I used gift card button on cash payments and kept cash. The gift cards are handwritten and left in open for customers and or employee to see. They do not have a tracking system of any kind for them other than if customer uses a credit card and then it would be in computer. That's all they use for tracking. Literally anyone could see them and take them and do whatever they wanted to do with them and there is no way to know h ow many were taken etc. Also they are filled out in hand writing. ..nt computer. I am their top producing server and have been there for almost two years. They said I have done this since august 2013 but just caught it. They are accusing one other server who is top producer. No formal investigation..only internal as of now. What should I do too protect myself at this stage?

Protect yourself!? You answer no questions, make no admissions and sign no forms that is how you protect yourself

Bear in mind too, that there is nothing stopping your current employer from telling a prospective employer that you were fired for suspicion of theft.

I have been confronted and questioned at work (restaurant ) regarding theft in the form of using fake gift certificates entered into computer system. Basically saying I used gift card button on cash payments and kept cash. The gift cards are handwritten and left in open for customers and or employee to see. They do not have a tracking system of any kind for them other than if customer uses a credit card and then it would be in computer. That's all they use for tracking. Literally anyone could see them and take them and do whatever they wanted to do with them and there is no way to know h ow many were taken etc. Also they are filled out in hand writing. ..nt computer. I am their top producing server and have been there for almost two years. They said I have done this since august 2013 but just caught it. They are accusing one other server who is top producer. No formal investigation..only internal as of now. What should I do too protect myself at this stage?

Wow, that's very devious and hurtful.

I hope things work outsell for you, OP.

Maybe you can talk to a lawyer in your county and see what he or she says about this.

Your employer can fire you for suspected theft. They are not a court of law & do not have to prove it. As Proserpina also noted, your current employer (if you are fired), can tell a prospective employer that you were terminated for suspected theft/suspicion of theft if that is what they honestly believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back