Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Accused of Stealing a Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

audrey180

I'm asking this for a friend of mine, who's dealing with this right now.

She's been accused by her in-laws (of whom she lives with) of stealing their credit card and making a purchase at an ice cream shop for around $40. Yes, it sounds silly, and yet is very true. The reason they are accusing her, is that she had gone to the ice cream shop the same day as the charge on their statement with her son, nephew and niece. Her nephew and niece paid for their own ice cream with cash and she used an gift card, her mom had given her a while back, to purchase ice cream for herself, son and husband. The cost of her purchase was over the amount of the gift card, so she paid the rest in cash, meaning the gift card was taken by the shop and thrown away.

When her in-laws noticed the charge on their credit card they immediately blamed her, and demanded a confession. She went looking for her gift card receipt to prove her innocence, but she thinks she tossed it, as it wasn't important to her at the time. Here's the kicker... her in-laws called the shop and were able to get a copy of the credit card receipt, which oddly enough, was never signed (all credit card purchases at the shop are required to be signed). She decided to call the shop as well, and while it will take a few days, the shop owner is willing to go through the receipts by hand to find her gift card receipt to prove she paid herself. She's not able to get the actual gift card back, as the owner says they just toss them.

Now she doesn't know where her in-laws even keep their credit card, and while they're an older retired couple, they're always home as well. She's also not even sure if the credit card went missing or whether it was found or whether the statement is all their going off of to prove she took the card.

She's an honest, hard working mom with two kids, and isn't hurting for money. I'm appalled this is even happening. Anyone have any advice on anything else she can do as she waits for the gift card receipt? I'm hoping there's another avenue I haven't thought of yet.

Does the shop have video?
It might not have helped anyway.

What time was the credit card used?
What time was the gift card used?

Whatever may come of this, don't you find it unusual, especially since the older couple rarely leave their home?

Perhaps, another individual in the home did the deed?

The shop owner seems to be the best source for information about what happened.

I suppose you'll just have to wait.

But, if you'll be absolved, waiting is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm asking this for a friend of mine, who's dealing with this right now.

She's been accused by her in-laws (of whom she lives with) of stealing their credit card and making a purchase at an ice cream shop for around $40. Yes, it sounds silly, and yet is very true. The reason they are accusing her, is that she had gone to the ice cream shop the same day as the charge on their statement with her son, nephew and niece. Her nephew and niece paid for their own ice cream with cash and she used an gift card, her mom had given her a while back, to purchase ice cream for herself, son and husband. The cost of her purchase was over the amount of the gift card, so she paid the rest in cash, meaning the gift card was taken by the shop and thrown away.

When her in-laws noticed the charge on their credit card they immediately blamed her, and demanded a confession. She went looking for her gift card receipt to prove her innocence, but she thinks she tossed it, as it wasn't important to her at the time. Here's the kicker... her in-laws called the shop and were able to get a copy of the credit card receipt, which oddly enough, was never signed (all credit card purchases at the shop are required to be signed). She decided to call the shop as well, and while it will take a few days, the shop owner is willing to go through the receipts by hand to find her gift card receipt to prove she paid herself. She's not able to get the actual gift card back, as the owner says they just toss them.

Now she doesn't know where her in-laws even keep their credit card, and while they're an older retired couple, they're always home as well. She's also not even sure if the credit card went missing or whether it was found or whether the statement is all their going off of to prove she took the card.

She's an honest, hard working mom with two kids, and isn't hurting for money. I'm appalled this is even happening. Anyone have any advice on anything else she can do as she waits for the gift card receipt? I'm hoping there's another avenue I haven't thought of yet.

How much was the total of the purchase your friend made on that day?

What state is this in?? FORTY Dollars for ICE CREAM??? :eek:

Does the shop have video?
It might not have helped anyway.

What time was the credit card used?
What time was the gift card used?

Whatever may come of this, don't you find it unusual, especially since the older couple rarely leave their home?

Perhaps, another individual in the home did the deed?

The shop owner seems to be the best source for information about what happened.

I suppose you'll just have to wait.

But, if you'll be absolved, waiting is your friend.

No, the shop doesn't have video. She asked if any of the people working may have remembered her or the person who used the card, but she said the shop was so busy that the employees didn't remember. She's trying to get a copy of the credit card receipt for herself to see the rest of the facts, but oddly, her in-laws told her not to go to the shop. Which, I feel is a little strange. Her and her husband are the only other ones living at the residents besides two very small children. Her husband was at home with their infant, as she was buying ice cream for him and her other son.

It's just a really messy situation and very much a "he said, she said" kind of ordeal.

How much was the total of the purchase your friend made on that day?

What state is this in?? FORTY Dollars for ICE CREAM??? :eek:

Yeah, it's one of those custom ice cream shops (I don't want to say the name). She only purchased for three people, which seems impossible to spend $40 on ice cream for 3 people. However, she had two other children with her, which could easily be $40 for 5 people, even though the children paid with their own money. She's kind of cornered in this. I mean, what are the odds? It's like she's being framed.

I agree. Something is going on with it. My friend isn't a liar, and definitely not a thief. She makes fairly good money and would have no need to steal, especially from her husband's parents.

Her father-in-law is threatening to file a police report, which she openly encourages, but I'm wondering if they'll just take down a report and do nothing about it, considering it is only $40. How seriously do the police take credit card theft, especially for such small amounts?

But, why would older people want to make false charges?

There has to be something going on in that house that isn't being talked about.

Maybe their welcome is up, and they want them out?

Sometimes, people are reluctant to say what they really feel.

This is odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back