X wife broke into my email account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violated

The X sent an email to my parents and to my friend. X has never met my friend and got friends email address from my mail box somehow. X described details in her email that could only have been obtained by reading my emails. My email is protected by a password so the only way she could have obtained that info would be through hacking or breaking into my house and turning on my computer. Or the third way would be to tell earthlink or embarq that she needed access and they gave it to her somehow. The X just last week migrated my earthlink address to embarq. I did not tell her OR them to do this but in the process maybe she got into my emails.

I called the attorney general to deal with email providers and the police just came to take my info and they will turn it over to detectives but the officer did not sound like much could be done. I thought this was a big deal so if the cops are not the ones to take this on, who is?

Unfortunately civil and criminal laws have not expanded enough to cover such cases in most states. ….. What I am saying is; If I guess your password and read your mails most states don't have laws to consider that a crime yet. More has to be proven to show bad intent and using your email box for criminal activity….So cops generally would venture into such only if the life of someone is threatened. Even if they wanted, they would need prove that something illegal has happened. As far as current laws, you can't prove she break an entry, or impersonated to the get your password illegally which would not necessarily be a crime prosecutors would care about just for emails…………… What I am saying she must have broken a law and you would need some proof to be taken seriously and to show how she would benefit from what you allege. If she hacked and it can't be proven there is no case. Now it is just your say. The state would not spend thousands of dollars on experts to investigate or forensically examine your computer to get her when no major crime happened. There are many viruses which you could buy online which steal passwords once the recipient opens the email. So get some spyware…………..Good luck. You don't have a case with what you have right now.

Technically, she MIGHT have committed a crime (depending on state law and IF someone can prove that she did hack your account or break into your home to use the computer). However, most law enforcement agencies are not going to expend time and resources for something like this where there has been no real damage. Sorry, but it is a lot of legwork and subpoenas/warrants to ISPs, phone providers, etc. for a case that is likely not very serious.

If you really want to extract a pound of flesh, you can hire an attorney and sue her in civil court ... though you would likely have to articulate some damages to make it worthwhile.

It may be frustrating, but don't expect the police to work too diligently on this unless she confesses to some form of unlawful access. The most you might be able to hope for is that the police talk to her and that rattles her cage.

- Carl

maybe a fakemailer might have been used? it was very popluar a couple of years ago..i guess invaderz also had one mailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back