wrongful terminaton (va contractor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpresson

I am a contractor in Va who was recently terminated. Knowing about VA's at will employment,I asked the company to give me a specific reason for my termination.The company sent me a letter citing a specific reason for my termination.My question is if i have proof that i didn't comitt the violation(s) im acused of do i have the right to be reinstated in my job?

Not a right, no. A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means you were fired for a reason prohibited by law.

However, if you have proof that you did not commit the action the company fired you for, you can't do yourself any harm by presenting it and seeing what they say.

BTW, just so you know, the company was not obligated to give you a reason.

thanks cbg,

i am aware that under the "at will worker" priciple the company was not obligated to give any reason for my termination, but my question is since they did provide me with a documented reason as to why i was terminated if i have proof that i did not commit the act they accused me of dont i have a right to be reinstated?

im thinking by the company giving me a documented reason for termination they loose the ability to say we dont have to give you a reason,and since ive been giving a reason i am able to defend myself against the allegations presented as being reason for my termination

There is nothing in the law that gives you a right to be reinstated if you are able to prove their accusations false. I don't know what else to tell you. You do not have that right under the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back