Wrongful Termination?

M

Missvision

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I have been a walmart employee since February 2015. On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 I got my first coaching/write up for disrespecting the new support manager. After complaining about how he,the support manager, has been disrespecting me and documenting each and every time he has done something to me, I brought it to my store manager's attention right before he was promoted to support manager. He was a CSM before my complaint. Once I was called into the office to receive the write up. I didn't agree to anything nor sign any paper work.

I received the write up at approximately 8pm and wasn't schedule to clock out until 10pm. I worked my shift until it was time to leave. The next day I received multiple text messages from coworkers asking me if I was fired. After the forth message I figured that was the rumor, but after I received the sixth message. I was actually off that day so I had no idea what was going on at work, so I had to find out if what people were saying was true.

I drove to my job to find out that I was actually fired and I had no idea. Everyone in the store knew but me. When I ask one of the managers he said I was terminated for saying the "f" word during the time I was being wrote up. I feel like my confidentiality rights were violated.

What can I do ?

You can file for unemployment and/or look for a new job.

This is not a wrongful termination. While I can't say I think much of your manager's style of management, no laws or protected rights were violated. There is really very little right to confidentiality in the workplace, outside of medical issues.

I don't see anything illegal done by your employer - file for unemployment ins. (the state will decide if you qualify) & look for other employment.

Back