Wrongful Termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdv1220

I am an employee of a large corporation and was recently part of a reorganization. The position I fell into was not the job I was initially hired for and my training and advancement opportunities became severely limited immediately. After only 2 months in the position, I went to HR because I felt I was being treated differently than anyone else. HR spoke with my manager and that treatment stopped. Now I was told someone heard me swear (not at anybody, just in context) while I was working. Management was quick to document it and the date along with other things. I was told to sign this write up that contained things I disagreed with so I declined to sign. They told me they could review me for termination, for a first offense. I've been suspended and they are now claiming things (that were undocumented or unknown to me) from a time other than the date on the letter. They have been doing an investigation for 10 days and I am not allowed to know much about it. What can I do? I believe that this may be a form of retaliation from the complaint I lodged against management.

If it is you can't prove it. Are you familar with the term "at will"? If not let me explain in an "at will" work enviroment (all states except Montana) an employer may terminate you with or without cause with or without warning. Just as you may quit under same terms. The only exception is if the termination violates any law. There appears to be no such law violation here. I would dust off my resume and begin seeking new employment. Yes its unfair but unfair is not always illegal

On what basis do you think you were being treated differently? It makes a difference to the answer.

I was the only person in a group who was told to verify time (when no previous or current accusations exist). I was given a specific lunch time period when no one else was. I had my work area moved to basement, while no one else moved. My requests for training for advancement were all denied. I was told that there was to be no overtime and all others in the group were allowed overtime.... I called HR and most of this subsided, then a different accusation comes up.. I will say that I've only been there for 5 years and on EVERY performance appraisal, I was given high & excellent marks. When I switched groups (and jobs) it changed instantly.

I'm aware of "at will" employers but by singling me out (documented to HR) and running with it still... I feel intimidated to say the least.

You're misunderstanding me, sorry. I didn't mean, what has happened that you think you are being treated differently; I meant, why do you think they have decided to treat you differently? What is their reason for treating you differently?

If it's not for race, gender, religion, etc., then it's not illegal.

A wrongful termination means that you were termed for a reason prohibited by law. Nothing in your post suggests that this is the case. Sorry.

Well that sucks.... but thank you.

Hopefully this doesn't get that far (termination) but if it does, I'll know I'm up the creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back