Wrongful Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dat1Greek2007

My father-in-law was a minority (20%) shareholder and president of a car insurance company. The majority shareholder abruptly terminated him in May, 2007 and they are now in legal proceedings. Meanwhile, I worked for the company for 2.5 years and they told me they would continue to pay me indefinitely (just don't come in to the office). I have since received paychecks every 2 weeks as normal. Last week they called, said they had planned on paying me for only 6 months, but since no one informed me of that they would pay me until the end of this year (about 5 more paychecks). I did nothing wrong and am being let go only because of the relationship with my father-in-law. Do I have any legal recourse for this termination? If I sign a release does that bar me from testifying in the case my father-in-law has against them? Would it be wise to counter-offer and ask for more? Just a little more FYI, my father actually passed away the same morning my father-in-law (and effectively myself) was let go. So this has been an even more troubling situation. Thank you for any help/advice you can give me.

Unless you have a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, or are in Montana, this is not a wrongful termination under the law. A wrongful termination means you were termed for a reason specifically prohibited by law; you were termed because of a potential conflict of interest, which is quite legal.

Without reading the release (do not post it) no one here can say what it might bar you from doing.

My sympathies on your loss.

Contact your father in-laws attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back