Wrongful Termination, Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outdone

I was recently fired due to a less than unsatisfactory annual performance review. It was based off of the past eight months (Aug07-Mar08). Unfortunately this is the first I had heard of poor performance, during this time period I was out of the office quite often on FMLA due to a recent health condition. I had been with the company for 7 years and had never received a poor annual review. I was told that they would give me 30 days to find another position within the company that woud be $10,000 less a year than what I was currently making, also, my medical condition would not allow me to be able to perform the job functions, this is a security gaurd industry, I worked in Human Resources. I went to my supervisor's manager for some clarity because I could not understand how I can be fired but required to work in this position were I perform less than unsatifactory for the next 30 days in hopes of gaining another position that I could not perform. He stated that mistakes were made and even though I was out on FMLA they were still my responisibility, and he is well aware that I did not have prior discussion in regards to my poor performance, but he is trying to help by allowing me to have the 30 days to seek other employment. I have had two surgeries in this time periond and I am scheduled for a third, I am prescribed Vicoden to be used daily for pain management and I am often times unable to stand or sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. I believe that I was being discriminated against and my termination was based on my illness and not my performance. I did not complete the 30 days, I asked if my termination could commence at the time I spoke with my supervisor's manager since I could not adequately perform my job duties and due to my health condition and upcoming surgeries, I would only be able to complete 20 of those 30 days, they agreed. But now I am told by ex coworkers, that I abandoned my job. Any thoughts.....

Yes, you are definitely being discriminated against.

But it's not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back