Wrongful Temination

Paul

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I was fired from a job for stepping on a raised car lift to get a set of keys from a previous work order. Neither me or other technicians or my direct supervisor knew about this violation nor was it ever part of my training. Do I have a wrongful termination case?

I was fired from a job for stepping on a raised car lift to get a set of keys from a previous work order. Neither me or other technicians or my direct supervisor knew about this violation nor was it ever part of my training. Do I have a wrongful termination case?

Your termination is no where near a wrongful termination case.

You were fired for a safety violation BORDERING on stupidity.

Your employer could have fired you without an explanation.

Your termination is no where near a wrongful termination case.

You were fired for a safety violation BORDERING on stupidity.

Your employer could have fired you without an explanation.
How can a employer fire you without cause and does not knowing about the offense have any bearing on the incident?

Wrongful termination means that there is a specific law that expressly prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason he did. There is no law prohibiting the employer from firing you for a safety violation; therefore he can and it is not a wrongful term.

An employer can fire you without cause (though I do not agree that you were fired without cause) because there isn't any law that says he can't. No, it does not make any difference that you didn't know it was a violation; it's still not a wrongful term.

It may, however, mean that you are able to collect unemployment.

In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason (or without cause) except for a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender.....) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. I don't see a wrongful termination.

You need to start looking for other employment & file for unemployment ins. The state will decide if you qualify.

Back