Wrong information in personnel file

O

opie19

Jurisdiction
Arizona
It just came to my attention that a job I resigned from 2 1/2 years ago has wrong information in my personnel file. They have me listed as "having been let go" and "non-rehirable". Both of which are wrong, and has been confirmed with my direct report that still works for the company. How do I get this information corrected in my file? And, can I take action against the company? I know who the persons involved in having the wrong information listed and why.

When you called HR and asked them about it, what did they say?

You cannot take any legal action against the company unless you can prove (and the burden of proof is on you) damages (as the law sees damages) that can be directly attributed to these statements.

So, how did you leave that company and what is their rehire policy?

I have not attempted to call HR yet... I don't want them to just clear it up... If I can't take legal action, I at least want the 2 individuals reprimanded for it.

I resigned giving 2 weeks notice, and ended up staying a 3rd week per my managers request. He is still with the company and has stated he would hire me back without question.

I have not attempted to call HR yet... I don't want them to just clear it up... If I can't take legal action, I at least want the 2 individuals reprimanded for it.

I resigned giving 2 weeks notice, and ended up staying a 3rd week per my managers request. He is still with the company and has stated he would hire me back without question.

I doubt that anyone will be disciplined for a mistake.
If it was done intentionally, unless the culprits admit to doing it, nothing will happen.
Even if someone is disciplined, you'll never learn of a confidential personnel transaction anyway.
In the interim, if this really sticks in your gullet, talk to a licensed attorney in your county or state.
That's the only way for you to "do something", if anything can be done!

You really don't get to dictate what actions they take(such as reprimanding anyone.) You let them know the problem and they will handle it internally however they choose.

Back