work v religion problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvatronix

Hello all, I am brand new to this forum, so thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

I work at a private Catholic high school in Arizona. Can my employer force me to attend Catholic services during work time.

For example, there is a manditory faculty and staff inservice today, and the itinerary has a liturgy scheduled and a private prayer time.

Yes, they can require you to attend services as part of the curriculum of a program. If you have a problem with this, then you really shouldn't be working for a religious educational institution.

Thanks for your reply Beth3.

One thing I should add is that I am not a teacher, I am staff. I am not involved in the curriculum or teaching.

Attendance to these things is not the end of the world to me. Participation however is different. What I would like to know is, legally, can my work make me participate in their religious rituals(i.e. prayers, songs, neeling, etc.).

Yes. Again, you work for a religious institution. They can require you to attend services while "on the clock" and participate, short of receiving the sacraments (communion, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back