Work Place Hysteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

feelingwronged

One of my co-workers made a comment about our supervisor & myself that hasn't set well with me. She told not 1, not 2, but 3 different new hires in our department that, "Don't trust those 2 - they're married to black men." Do you care to hear the rest of the crap?:confused: Oh! This is a very large hospital in Noblesville and our department was reorganized and as of the 29th of this month, I am without a job. This person was reported to our department head and nothing was done. That should have been immediate dismissal! Yes? She got her job back in the department. The stress of this environment has brought me to tears and literally made my chest hurt!
What can I do?

Last edited:
You can file for unemployment and look for other work.

It is not for you to decide what form of discipline she should have been subjected to. The law does not require the employer to fire her. It's not even altogether certain that her comments consistuted illegal behavior.

You lost your job in a department reorganization. That is not illegal either. Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you would defnitely have been rehired if you had not complained about this admittedly rude co-worker (and I mean something more than supposition or complaints that it's not fair) you have no legal recourse.

what? nothing can be done?

Do you mean another person can can say one can not be trusted because one is married to a black man and nothing can be done? It is even stated in the manual that discrimination is immediate termination!
You can file for unemployment and look for other work.

It is not for you to decide what form of discipline she should have been subjected to. The law does not require the employer to fire her. It's not even altogether certain that her comments consistuted illegal behavior.

You lost your job in a department reorganization. That is not illegal either. Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you would defnitely have been rehired if you had not complained about this admittedly rude co-worker (and I mean something more than supposition or complaints that it's not fair) you have no legal recourse.

Q: Do you mean another person can can say one can not be trusted because one is married to a black man and nothing can be done?

A: Yes.

Q: It is even stated in the manual that discrimination is immediate termination!

A: What you are complaining about is not discrimination.

We still have freedom of speech in this country, and she is entitled to her opinion. You did not suffer any damages because she's an idiot.

If you had been demoted or fired because you are married to a black man, that would be illegal discrimination.

Stating her opinion is not. Even if her opinion shows her to be a bigot, being a bigot is not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back