Withold money from paycheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

needadvice23

I work fulltime for my company and I am a salary employee. My responsibility is to take care of the company's computer and manage EBAY auctions selling automobiles.
I had a car up for auction for $3500. One of my dealer's I sell cars to asked if they could buy the car direct and not on EBAY. So I let the EBAY auction expire and sent the vehicle to the dealer before receiving the $3500. Once the dealer received the car they insisted on only pay $1000 for the car. I made a mistake in agreeing to the deal.
My employer says he is going to hold the $2500 difference from my next paycheck and if I don't like it I can go find a new job.

Can an employer withhold money from my paycheck for this reason? Can he legally threaten my job?

Yes, and YOU know why.
What you did could be considered criminal.
You're lucky to still be employed.

The correct answer is no, he cannot deduct the money from your paycheck unless he has a signed authorization from you allowing him to do so. I'll let Patty determine whether or not, in your state, he can require you to repay him by other means.

However, you can definitely be disciplined in ways not relating to your paycheck up to and including termination.

How does your employer know that you received only $1,000 on a car worth $3,500?
The employer could start an investigation, and someone just might say they gave you more than $1,000.
If the purchaser says that, you're in trouble.
And, why did you release the car before you had been paid?
There might be recourse against the purchaser.
But, with no writing to substantiate your claim, your employer is out of $2,500.
That $2,500 loss is through no fault of his.
This doesn't pass the giggle test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back