With 50/50 Joint...Responsibility for Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmem

am located in CA and my kids and their mother is in KS. We had a moving plan due to work this last summer. We would spend a year apart, traveling, until we could get work closer to each other. This plan was thrown out when she surprised me with papers. Due to the pending divorce, I lost my job (working in a non-profit Christian ministry). But her demands for CS have not changed, and I am strapped!

I have decided to relocate to Kansas, to be near my kids. She has committed to having joint with 50/50 as soon as I get to Kansas.

My question is, should I be paying cs when we have 50/50, and I will just be doing piece work, because it is hard to get back into my 22 year career in ministry. She is teaching and working on a PHD.

Just looking for advice and help. We don't have assets or anything to split, so we are trying to settle this outside court.

Thanks

In 50/50 situations, there is typically no support unless one parent earns more than the other. Other expenses, such as daycare or insurance must be factored in as well. Your state guidelines for support can probably be found via the county clerk's office. It may be that she will owe you support. Meanwhile, temporary orders, if there are any, must be followed until this is sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back