Willing items to a minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondiesc

My husband passed away and in his will, he left his motorcycle to his minor child by his first marrage. The will actually states that it goes to him when I determine he is old enough. I'm not sure what I am legally entitled to do with it, especially since it was not paid for at the time of his death. Do I have to store it or can I legally have use of it until the time I determine he is of age or even sell it if I need to. The child is only 8 at this time. Also, there are a couple of personal items (guns) in the will that he sold before his death that I no longer posses to distribute. He sold them when he lost his job with the intention of buying them back when financially stable. What do I do about that? If it helps, I'm in SC. Thanks for your advice.

If you were not willed the beneficial use of the motorcycle until the beneficiary is of age, then you should not use it. You should store it, and the estate should pay for the storage charges, until he is of age. (I'm not sure about SC law, but you might be able to apply oto court for the power to sell it if the storage is too much.)

The guns no longer form part of the estate. The provisions of the will purporting to bequeath them are void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back