Will my parents gain any rights to my daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JynxRD

I don't know why my parents are doing this but I suspect its because they have never butted out of my life since I moved out at 18. It was fine at first but I'm 30 now and I still feel like I'm under my parents thumb and now its moving to my own children.

My wife and I live rather close to my parents. Its both good and bad. Unfortunately we had a lot of problems buying at home and when this one came along at a great price we jumped on it.

My daughter spends a lot of time at my parents house. Shes only 7 years old. She enjoys spending time with her grandparents. However shes starting to spend a little too much time away from home. Every time I try and stop this and keep her home more often my mother gets upset and wants to know why were keeping her form them. I'm always shocked by this. They see there grand-kids more than any other grandparents probably do. For example during school while my wife and I are still working she goes to my parents house. So shes there Mon through Fri. So the weekends we enjoy being a family and doing family things. My mother will actually get upset that I didn't let her come over during the weekend and actually ask me why I never let her come over! Now during the summer she still goes up to there house several days throughout the week. And just today my mother through a fit that I wanted her home tonight with my wife and I instead of up there house. Now they are threatening to take me to court??? I have bad anxiety so I'm really losing it over this partly because I'm wondering what is wrong with them that they think like this and then partly because I'm wondering if the legal system will actually fail me here and I'll be told I have to let her go to my parents house so many times a week or month or whatever. I'm starting to feel like I'm not solely responsible for my own family and that I have to walk on egg shells around everyone else and make sure I keep them happy.

You and your wife run your household.

Yours isn't a legal issue.

You're having a family and relationship problem.

Your parents have no inherent rights to see your children.

You needn't be rude or crass, rather just don't offer excuses or answers.

Did your parents loan you money to buy your home?

Once you take money from others, you often sell your soul.

If money us involved, pay them back, and be sure to profusely and regularly thank them.

Then resolve, never to indebted yourselves to family or friends again.

Learn the value of sacrifice and hard work, rather than immediate gratication.

But, make your own decisions without excuses going forward.

If money isn't involved, things are less complicated.

Don't ask your parents to be babysitters, and when your daughter visits them, take the rest of family along!

No they have not loaned me any money. In fact I have loaned them over a thousand in the past couple months because they can't pay there bills. I haven't complained once about it to them though. It doesn't look like there going to be able to pay me back anytime soon but I haven't said anything to them about it. We borrowed money from my grandparents to put a down on the house but we already paid them back in full. Unfortunately there is just no talking to them. She can be at there house mon,tues,weds,thurs,fri and if shes not that sat/sun then the 5 days she was there basically never happened to them. I'm going to try taking a stand and restricting the amount of time she goes but its already causing me problems. Since I posted the first post here they've already called my house trying to argue with me why I'm going to keep my daughter from them. She was just there 3 days ago! I don't know how to make this stop especially since they have it in there head that they can get a lawyer and get what they want. Its only a matter of time before they turn the rest of the family against me. I'm not sure why its me, I have 2 siblings who are married with children and they don't bother them at all.

I saw your post on the other site, and won't rehash it.

Does your daughter frequently spend the night there? How about the 3 year old?

You really ought to be enforcing your visitation, as well. By not doing so, it appears that you are uninterested parents.

You also ought to pay the child support. You are technically in arrears since you can't prove that you've tried to pay it. Child support arrearages accumulate interest, so the amount owed is more than the monthly amount for the past 2 years. You may have to find a 3rd party who can accept the payment, then forward it. Or, you can set it up through your child support agency. Find a way that will allow you to prove that it's been paid.

Last edited:
I saw your post on the other site, and won't rehash it.

Does your daughter frequently spend the night there? How about the 3 year old?

You really ought to be enforcing your visitation, as well. By not doing so, it appears that you are uninterested parents.

You also ought to pay the child support. You are technically in arrears since you can't prove that you've tried to pay it. Child support arrearages accumulate interest, so the amount owed is more than the monthly amount for the past 2 years. You may have to find a 3rd party who can accept the payment, then forward it. Or, you can set it up through your child support agency. Find a way that will allow you to prove that it's been paid.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/child-c...-have-any-rights-over-my-children-519591.html

;):rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back