Will I qualify for unemployment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj7707

I am a medical assistant in Michigan. I am going to college to be a nurse. I got accepted into the nursing program, and someone at the school told me I would be starting in October. Well i told my boss back in June my last day would probably be "sometime in Sept." I didn't sign anything. Monday I got a call from the school saying my start date will be January 5 due to financial aid issues. My boss had already hired someone to replace me. I told her of my dilemma asking if there's any way I can keep my job through December. She said there was nothing she could do because the new girl is going to be taking my hours, and a girl that has been there for 7 months wants my Thursday hours. She said I could take the Saturdays because "people would gladly give those up". I work part time, 20 hours a week or so, she's saying I can go down to 4 hours a week if I want. My question is if I do quit will I get unemployment benefits because I really don't want to quit, I'm going to have to?

Maybe, maybe not. You'd told the employer that you were leaving (albeit with no specific end date) and they made other arrangements based on what YOU told them. On the other hand, you are losing a significant number of hours.

Sorry, crystal ball not working here. When you asked the unemployment office this question, what did they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back