Will Civil Offenses Affect My Law School Application?

2four8

I received non-criminal citations for Marijuana possession and underage drinking. Both of these citations occured at the same time, and I was 18 when it happened.

Now, I am hoping to go to law school. The citations were received in 2014 and I hope to apply for law schools in 2018. Will these civil forfeiture offenses affect my application?

In Wisconsin, you cannot do retroactive expungement, so that's out.

I received non-criminal citations for Marijuana possession and underage drinking. Both of these citations occured at the same time, and I was 18 when it happened.

Now, I am hoping to go to law school. The citations were received in 2014 and I hope to apply for law schools in 2018. Will these civil forfeiture offenses affect my application?

In Wisconsin, you cannot do retroactive expungement, so that's out.

Your previous brushes with the criminal law will likely not affect your law school admission, at least in all cases.
However, each case is different, and only the selected law school will decide.
A religious affiliated school might be more inclined to say no, versus a state or privately owned law school.

The issue for you will be, assuming you graduate from any law school will be your bar admission and license to practice law.

There is no blanket answer, but whatever you decide to do, leave all illegal drugs alone.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, they say weed isn't illegal.
Illegality isn't the ONLY thing one needs to worry about.

Back