Will a LiveScan reveal dismissed cases? expunged cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kannen

I have been offered a position working with a non-profit and they require a LiveScan background check. I had an old case (misdemeanor) expunged a few years ago, and another dismissed following that. What will a LiveScan reveal to my potential employer? And will the findings completely bar me from employment? Please advise.

Last edited:
OP, no one can guess what the background check will reveal.

But, you know what questions you've been asked and how you answered.

Nothing you can do, but wait for the other shoe to drop.

All one can do is to be honest in all things.

When you lie, you often get caught.

Good luck.

Contact the lawyer who represented you in connection with the expunged misdemeanor or another attorney who can advise you on the effect of the expunged conviction. In certain jurisdictions, an individual with an expunged record can "truthfully" not disclose the conviction because it has been expunged.

On a related note, check with your lawyer whether your county has passed an ex-offender protection provision. I am reasonably sure at least one California county has prohibited discrimination based on criminal history. If you live in this county or other counties have followed suit, you may have some protection from ex-offender discrimination. (To be clear, though, the State of California has not passed such ex-offender protection to my knowledge.)

As to the arrest, the earlier poster offered sage advice. Many employers do not inquire about arrests, just convictions. If, however, your prospective employer or its investigator asks about arrests, it is far better to answer the question candidly. If you lie, you can be denied the job for lying. If you lie and your company finds out five years down the road, then the employer can fire you later for lying even if you have consistently been the "Employee of the Year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back