Where to obtain a legal document that states that I took my husband's last name when we got married?

H

Hmmm

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I need a legal document that states that I took my husband's last name when we got married. The marriage certificate is not enough as it doesn't explicitly states that I took my husband's last name. Where and how could I obtain such a document? I need this document in order to change my last name in my country of origin.

Thanks!

I need a legal document that states that I took my husband's last name when we got married. The marriage certificate is not enough as it doesn't explicitly states that I took my husband's last name. Where and how could I obtain such a document? I need this document in order to change my last name in my country of origin.

Thanks!

You simply get a few EXTRA copies of your marriage certificate with a raised seal, the one you filed with the county.

You take that certificate to your driver licensing agency.
You ask to change your name by marriage.

Example: birth name Sue Smith married Bob Black
You can change your name to Sue Black, or Sue Smith-Black.
Easy peasy.

Ohio requires you to provide a copy of your SS card with the new name you're adopting.

Read on:

Name Change on Drivers License Ohio | How to Change Name on Drivers License

SS is easier.
Read on:
How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?

If it is for documentation required by another country, I suggest asking them directly what they require by way of proof.

I need this document in order to change my last name in my country of origin.

In the United States a woman takes her husband's last name as a matter of tradition and common law accepts the marriage certificate as evidence of the validity of that change and that allows you to change your name on your driver's license, with social security, employment, and anywhere else you need to make the change.

If your home country requires a "document" attesting to your name change you may have to go to court and change your name that way in order to get the document. You can get name change forms and instruction on your local court's website or at the courthouse.

Back