When can a child legally leave?

S

sportschik2876

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I am 17, almost 18, and I desperately want out of my home. My aunt and uncle took guardianship over me last year and they'll tell me to leave then won't allow me to do so. My question is, if I was to just up and leave one day, will I be forced back into this place and face charges or will I be okay to stay away?

if I was to just up and leave one day, will I be forced back into this place and face charges or will I be okay to stay away?

The answer, maybe.

However, wait until one second after midnight on your birthday and you can leave forever.

Nothing will limit where you can go, or what you can do, except your ability to earn money or to steal it!!!

I don't suggest stealing money, however.

The earliest you can leave and have there be NO possibility of being forced back, is your 18th birthday.

This is a status offense, not a criminal offense. If they report you missing you would be brought back home. There are no charges to speak of.
Do yourself a favor and try to fix the relationship. As you get older you will regret burning bridges as you realize how much you depend on family.

I am 17, almost 18, and I desperately want out of my home. My aunt and uncle took guardianship over me last year and they'll tell me to leave then won't allow me to do so. My question is, if I was to just up and leave one day, will I be forced back into this place and face charges or will I be okay to stay away?

Children can't leave home without parental or guardian permission but adults can. So when you are 18 you can live wherever you want.

If you took off now at 17 it depends on the police in your area. Some don't go after 17 year olds who run away. Some do. But why would you face charges for running away? No you wouldn't face charges but the police might bring you back home. How much is "almost" 18? You might have to just tough it out.

Back