What should my on-call pay be per hour?

Frank Smith

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I am a tow truck driver in the small town of Port Orford, Oregon. I am paid $20 per hour and my work week is Monday thru Sunday. I normally only work Monday-Friday at my standard wage and I am paid time and a half if I work over 40 hours during this work week.

On Weekends (Saturday & Sunday), I am required (Mandatory) to take the company truck home and wait for dispatch to call for possible tows or other roadside events. I am on call Saturday from 6:00 AM, until Sunday 12:00 PM. I must wear a company uniform and my company has less than 10 employees.

For this on call work, I am paid a flat $3.00 per hour, if I get called out, the company pays me an additional $100.00 per event. Most weekends I am not called out. The company provides me a phone and I must (If called), be on the road to the event within 30 minutes.

BOLI indicates that I am in the "Engaged to Wait" catagory and clearly states I should be paid, but not how much.
As you described it, you seem more like an on-call worker to me. I would suggest that you contact the BOLI and speak to them about your situation.

Back