What should I do about my unfair treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairytalesrcute

I work in California for a small company. Yesterday my boss got upset because an email I had sent caused unfavorable responses. We ended up meeting with the HR lady and I got a verbal warning because "I threw him under the bus." I still disputed that fact because I worked in the parameters I was given and he was unavailable. Nontheless prior to meeting he called me 2 hours after i sent the email. After I picked up the phone and said my standard greeting he proceeded to yell at me not let me have a word in and hung up. At that point I was very upset.

As soon as the HR lady came to the office I immediatly told her that I need to meet with her and she asked why? I stated because of an incident that happened with my boss. Her response was I will have to check my schedule because I just got in and am already booked with some meetings, I will get back to you but if we do not meet today we can do it tomorrow.

After I got back from lunch her and my boss already discussed what happened. The meeting I walked into with them was both of them saying what I did was inappropriate and uncalled for. Once that discussion was done they did not want to discuss the fact that he yelled at me. My boss proceeded to state that him yelling at me was irrelevant and denied that he did that.

When directly speaking to the HR lady I asked her is it OK for a superior to yell at a subordinate her response is that it is not preferrable. Her response was actually contrary to what happened last year when she basically accostyed me for putting emphasis in an email by capitalizing a few words, but "according to her knowledge that was yelling at someone". I got repremanded by someone that is not my superior for that, but find it completly hypocritical that my boss actually yelled at me and there was no recourse except me getting a verbal warning.

My boss has exhibited behavior that he has the inability to handle frustration and problems. He frequently raises his voice and speak inappropriatly to other employees. In other words this is an ongoing issue that I have brought to the attention of now not only the owner but also the HR lady. I have broken down crying to the owner regarding his actions before after that things got a little better but have since gotten worse. I am diagnosed as clinically depressed taking medication and as such am covered under the protected classes, or so I have been told.

By his inability to speak to myself and other employees in an appropriate manner and by me notifying the owner of the company and his actions to be continual exacerbates my condition. He is completly aware of my depression and so is the owner of the company.

With the company not helping the situation and realizing that this problem is not just me but is his ways of communication I do not know what to do. The incident yesterday caused increased hostility in the office and left my brain consumed with the issue not being able to focus on other things pertinant outside of the office.

Please help!

It is not illegal for your boss to be a jerk. Sorry if that not what you want to hear but legally theres nothing you can do. I would start sending yuor resume out so you can vacate your hostile enviroment

I am completly aware that in the State of California there is no law stating the people can not be a jerk. The issue I am now having is that his actions are on a frequent basis not only to my self but other employees and he is fully aware of my depression which is a disability under the ADA because I am taking medication but when he acts that way it causes me to not beable to function but become consumed with what happened. From what I have been told I am covered under the harrassment laws based on the disability I have informed him, the owner and now the hr lady of his actions but there is nothing being done and is causing me to see a therapist more frequently.

Keep in mind that first, a hostile work environment has a very specific meaning under the law and what you describe does not meet the legal definition, and second, that the ADA is not going to require your boss to be nice to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back