What rights does my boyfriend have after 13 yrs.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovejoy83

After 13 yrs. living as husband and wife without ever being married, my boyfriend left last week without saying a word. Just disappeared along with all of my savings from my bank account. The bank tells me that all they can do is offer their advice about not giving someone else my password. Is it true they aren't liable? It wasn't myself who made the transaction. Also, can't I have him prosecuted for theft? My local police dept. are telling me that it's a family problem and I need to see an attorney. They say, because I gave him the password "freely", and we've been together for 13 yrs., they can't help me. It's a "civil matter" according to the Chief of Police. Is all this true or is it that someone doesn't want to do their job.

Please help!!!

Thank You

Looks like you're going to have to sue him in civil court.

Have a chat with a local attorney asap.

After 13 yrs. living as husband and wife without ever being married, my boyfriend left last week without saying a word. Just disappeared along with all of my savings from my bank account. The bank tells me that all they can do is offer their advice about not giving someone else my password. Is it true they aren't liable? It wasn't myself who made the transaction. Also, can't I have him prosecuted for theft? My local police dept. are telling me that it's a family problem and I need to see an attorney. They say, because I gave him the password "freely", and we've been together for 13 yrs., they can't help me. It's a "civil matter" according to the Chief of Police. Is all this true or is it that someone doesn't want to do their job.
I might file a police report for theft - but that is based upon assumptions I don't know that I can make. Why did your boyfriend have the password to your private bank account? Did you commingle funds in the account? Did he make deposits? If he didn't and once withdrew with permission but not this time, it's theft, regardless of having the password. The police should take a police report even though they might not do anything. After you obtain a police report, if you have the right to report this as theft, you may be able to speak to the bank under different pretenses.

I might file a police report for theft - but that is based upon assumptions I don't know that I can make. Why did your boyfriend have the password to your private bank account? Did you commingle funds in the account? Did he make deposits? If he didn't and once withdrew with permission but not this time, it's theft, regardless of having the password. The police should take a police report even though they might not do anything. After you obtain a police report, if you have the right to report this as theft, you may be able to speak to the bank under different pretenses.

We have always used my account for reasons of child support. That's why we never got married, because of his child support obligations. Anyway, yes, he's taken money out and put it into my account many times. Heck, we're talking about 13 yrs. here. That's why the police say they can't help me. They say I can't use the law for my own convenience. Is this true?

I'm wondering, why don't I trust my local police?

Hmmm. . .

Madam, please review your post above this one.

I've seen lots of abuses perpetrated by the police in my time.

But, fair is fair, and right is right.

For 13 years you've aided and abetted the "con" artist who eventually ripped you off of all your loot, avoid the law and "his" paternal responsibility, to support his child(ren).

One fine day this crook steals from you.

Please, madam, can't you see it?

The police never turn down new business.

They will readily, eagerly, and aggressively pursue all law violators.

The fact that they've failed to pursue the "crook" you've bedded down for 13 years oughta tell you something.

If this creature would use you to stiff his own kids, what makes you think he wouldn't eventually steal from you?

Lady, a snake and a scoundrel just has to "keep it real"!!!

A venomous snake must envenomate someone. Yours ended up envenomating you after 13 years of envenomating his own children!!!!

Last edited:
Madam, please review your post above this one.

I've seen lots of abuses perpetrated by the police in my time.

But, fair is fair, and right is right.

For 13 years you've aided and abetted the "con" artist who eventually ripped you off of all your loot, avoid the law and "his" paternal responsibility, to support his child(ren).

One fine day this crook steals from you.

Please, madam, can't you see it?

The police never turn down new business.

They will readily, eagerly, and aggressively pursue all law violators.

The fact that they've failed to pursue the "crook" you've bedded down for 13 years oughta tell you something.

If this creature would use you to stiff his own kids, what makes you think he wouldn't eventually steal from you?

Lady, a snake and a scoundrel just has to "keep it real"!!!

A venomous snake must envenomate someone. Yours ended up envenomating you after 13 years of envenomating his own children!!!!

With all due respect, I was not asking for a lecture, but thank you anyway.

They say I can't use the law for my own convenience. Is this true?
I'm wondering, why don't I trust my local police?
Hmmm. . .
Of course you can't use the law for your own "convenience." What they are saying is that he was hiding money he makes by putting it into your bank account as if it was your money. This way the mothers of his children can't find any of the money he makes that they need in order to support his children. That would be deception - would it not?

What you've done is what I suspected might be the case - "commingling" of your account with his as if it is a "joint" account rather than the one in your name. I hate to say it, but army judge is right. Your ex has an argument that his money was mixed with yours and he had every right to the money as you did. I'm not saying he was entitled to all the money but he did have rights to access the account and withdraw some money. Since he had access rights, you've lost the ability to claim that he didn't have rights to the account and withdraw money -- he did. As to how much, that's a civil dispute between you and the ex-boyfriend.

As army judge also says, if you're dating a guy who is trying to hide money to avoid child support, it should give you a good indication as to what they are capable of should the two of you have a fallout. I think that you may have a very difficult time collecting -- and remember -- he may be hiding the money he makes with his next girlfriend. Your cost to enforce any judgment might not be worth the time and effort. Hard to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back