what lawyer is willing to represent against violating civil rights?

khines

My daughter has continually attempted to obtain legal representation against children and family services in Decatur, Illinois, and been told that no one is willing to take a case against them. Her children were removed by illegal means, with documentation proving their civil rights were violated and the caseworker perjured herself, among other things. My daughter has been denied the right to appeal court decisions and was even told that she has a case but no one wants to upset the judge or have dcfs be mad at them. What can we do?

My daughter has continually attempted to obtain legal representation against children and family services in Decatur, Illinois, and been told that no one is willing to take a case against them. Her children were removed by illegal means, with documentation proving their civil rights were violated and the caseworker perjured herself, among other things. My daughter has been denied the right to appeal court decisions and was even told that she has a case but no one wants to upset the judge or have dcfs be mad at them. What can we do?

Oh my, that must be a bitter pill to swallow. Before we get into details, you'll have to tell us what the authorities claim your daughter did to cause them to "kidnap" her babies?

It is a very long story that has been going on since February of last year. It all started when she reached out for help with her oldest two boys 14 and 13 who had started behaving out of control with no success. It was finally turned around on her one night when my oldest grandchild called the police and lied about being hit. My daughter went to jail but was set free without charges within three days. In the meantime, the dcfs worker that was investigating the case left all five children with me, but went and took custody of the three smaller children while at school without telling anyone and using the two older children's behavior as reasons of neglect. The youngest boy had an ugly welt I n his face that was not there when he went to school that morning, but the worker claimed that my daughter had to have hit him with a belt. Even though she was in jail as of the night before. They repeatedly refuse to allow any family members to care for the youngest three because, and I quote: "Their mother has a bad attitude and cussed them out." Even though she has complied with their recommended services, they are now threatening to limit her visitation rights and have no plans for reunification. Mind you this is just a small part to the story. There is much more to it, with plenty of documentation, should someone be willing to talk with her. She has tried to engage many lawyers and was told yes you're right, until they hear who it is against. Then they tell her they don't take that kind of case. She even tried to appeal the judges decision on her own and was told she couldn't do that. Only an attorney could file an appeal. The attorney that she did hire told her she didn't know if they could appeal and she didn't want to upset the judge or have dcfs against her.

First things first, madam. You impress me as being a lady possessed of common sense.
I'm going to post a link that will reveal to you how the DCFS child removal process is supposed to work and progress. Please review it, and then I'll try to offer some additional information.

http://www.illinois.gov/dcfs/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1460&ChapterID=32

http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/articles/you-and-the-law/family/children/reporting-child-abuse

Okay, we'll start slow. We'll do it step by step.
The above first steps describe the abuse reporting process.
Take your time, we have plenty of things to discuss.

Okay, a few final questions, madam.

Has your daughter ever faced DCFS charges or untervention prior to this latest incident?

Has your daughter been convicted of any crimes? If so, charges and dates please. (Feel free to say "shoplifting", "illegal drug possession", etc...)
Does your daughter have a history of mental illness?
Has your daughter abused HARD drugs?
Has your daughter spent time in PRISON?

To protect your daughter's privacy, is it oay if I call her Molly?

Okay, get back to us when you have time.
I'm sure a couple other posters will chime in and try to help you, too.
We're just friendly, likable, helpful folk. :D

Last edited:
Thank you for that link. Believe me when I tell you that we have researched what should have happened against what actually transpired. We have many pages of case laws that were broken and the Proof of their violations. Unfortunately, the courts sided with the caseworker and actually told my daughter in open court that she did not have the right to speak in her defense. All we are trying to do nkw is find an attorney that is willing to hear her case and is not afraid to stand up against dcfs and the Macon County Illinois justice system. We are not the only family being abused by this system that is supposed to protect our children, but in reality is tearing apart honest peoples lives. I know of two others that are going through a lot of the same things. I also know that my two grandaughters have repeatedly told us in visits that they are being midtreated and actually had marks on them, but when we have complained we were told it was found un true. My daughter called the local police department with pictures of my six year old granddaughters facecwith her ey ebrows shaved and v razor burn on her forehead. The officrr told us that dcfs has the right to refuse them access to check the welfare of the children even. It is scary and beyond frustrating to think of the power they hold and abuse.

You might contact your state elected representative and senator. This might best be addressed from the political angle. It can't hurt to write your state's governor, as well.

We have thought of that also. She has sent letters to the Attoney General, the Governor, the NAACP, and a few others I can't recall at this moment. The only ones that will consider even listening to her is the NAACP. The others have instantly sent her rejection letters saying she must have done something wrong so deal with it as best she can. Or better yet, the ones that claim it's not in their jurisprudence to deal with those types of cases. See? Frustrating...

We have thought of that also. She has sent letters to the Attoney General, the Governor, the NAACP, and a few others I can't recall at this moment. The only ones that will consider even listening to her is the NAACP. The others have instantly sent her rejection letters saying she must have done something wrong so deal with it as best she can. Or better yet, the ones that claim it's not in their jurisprudence to deal with those types of cases. See? Frustrating...

That is most unusual.

There are many support and educational groups for people bullied by DCFS. This is but one:

http://fightagainstcps.tripod.com/id39.html

Have you tried contacting this fine organization?

Legal aid in all states can sometimes offer you guidance. They do have funding problems, but they do a great dela of good with very little funding:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=852

They listen, and do try to help sort out constitutional and civil rights issues.

http://www.aclu-il.org/

Here's another group (or so) that assists parents who have been railroaded by child services:

http://www.dupagefamilylawattorneys.com/dupagedivorceblog/2014/01/20/new-problems-illinois-dcfs/

We have tried l legal aid, but not the other two. I will try them and see what can be accomplished. Thank you for your help.

Back