what laws are applicable to DC, MD, VA if you live in one state but work in another?

iceman

Greetings
I live in VA, and work in MD. To complicate the matter, I am a contractor working for a VA organization. The client is in MD though. I want to know what to look up, if I run into a question.

You are a contractor... Look to the terms in your contract. Your contact may simplify things by indicating the laws of which state are applicable to resolve disputes.
Without a contract you likely must use the laws of the state where each job is located, regardless of where you live.

If you are working in Maryland, and performing that work in Maryland, Maryland laws apply. It doesn't matter one bit where you live or where the company is headquartered. A good number of Maryland employees live in surrounding states and DC.

In some cases federal law could apply, especially if your work involves the federal government.

Moreover, I suggest you read your contract, it spells out how most disputes are to addressed.

You might learn that you've agreed to mediation rather than lawsuits.

Even that provision can be overcome in some situations, nevertheless, your contract is determinative to a point.

Unless you're a high level, big time, big bucks, muckity muck; more than likely the law won't be involved.

Federal law wouldn't change based on the state. If it applies, it applies no matter which side of the Potomac you are on.

Greetings
I live in VA, and work in MD. To complicate the matter, I am a contractor working for a VA organization. The client is in MD though. I want to know what to look up, if I run into a question.

Depends on the question.
Depends on the state.
Depends on the terms of the contracts.
Depends on whether you really are a contractor or are being illegally misclassified.

Feel free to come back when you have a specific problem rather than trying to solve problems that don't exist yet.

Back