What kind of trouble can I be in for extending the dates on a doctor's note for work?

bgjjr7

Jurisdiction
Illinois
If I changed the date range on a doctor's note and extended it to get me to a procedure I have upcoming? I have not been paid beyond the time I was covered in the note yet. I still have the same health issues but know it was wrong to change the dates. Should I quit the job? Admit the changes I made? Not sure which approach would be better.

If you quit you don't get UI.
If you admit, you get fired for misconduct and don't get UI.

I suggest you get back to the doctor ASAP and get a revised note before you really mess things up.

Agree that I would ask for an updated note from the doctor and hope you can get it. Even if it is the same OLD date, make it right now before you get into earning wages that you don't truly have documentation for.

If I changed the date range on a doctor's note and extended it to get me to a procedure I have upcoming? I have not been paid beyond the time I was covered in the note yet. I still have the same health issues but know it was wrong to change the dates. Should I quit the job? Admit the changes I made? Not sure which approach would be better.

You received some helpful insight.

I can only add that admitting "some things" can eliminate those "things".

However, you might open yourself up to CRIMINAL PROSECUTION by other interested (and until now) UNKNOWN parties.

Hint, hint, hint: a district attorney, a federal prosecutor, and others!!!!

Before you admit to anything, you might want to seek at least TWO FREE consulations with criminal defense attorneys in your county!!!!

Back