What is wrong with parents today?

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) A search warrant says a North Carolina mother confessed to letting her 1-year-old child smoke pot in a social media video that went viral.

The warrant released Monday allows police to take pictures of the Raleigh apartment where investigators say 20-year-old Brianna Ashanti Lofton helped her daughter inhale marijuana.

A version of the video that's received millions of views shows the hand of an adult off-screen holding a cigarillo to the child's lips.

The child coos and appears to inhale before letting out a puff of smoke.

Police say Facebook users alerted them to the smoking child videos.

Lofton is charged with child abuse, marijuana possession and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Her lawyer didn't return an email seeking comment.

babysmoke.jpg

Warrant: Mom admits she put marijuana blunt in infant's mouth

You know she is going to argue it was medicinal... Pain relief for teething or something stupid like that.

That would seem logical, my friend.

Especially true, if she argues without benefit of counsel.

The idiots have outnumbered us, and their numbers grow by the hundreds of thousands daily.

It's not just "today". My DAD can recall he and his young cousins being "offered" beer and cigarettes/cigars/pipes to the amusement of family members. There are pictures of my aunt doing this and that was in the late 40's. These were otherwise caring and educated parents, not degenerates. Now, law enforcement has a different view of these "harmless" pranks and social media means more people can view the stupidity in action.

It's not just "today". My DAD can recall he and his young cousins being "offered" beer and cigarettes/cigars/pipes to the amusement of family members. There are pictures of my aunt doing this and that was in the late 40's. These were otherwise caring and educated parents, not degenerates. Now, law enforcement has a different view of these "harmless" pranks and social media means more people can view the stupidity in action.

Many parents would allow their children to TASTE of wine, beer, even alcohol.
However, that was done under DIRECT parental supervision only.

My father would allow my brothers and me to "sip" from his beer can as he did tasks around the home.

We were INSTRUCTED not to touch any alcoholic beverage unless directed to do so by mother or father.

Oddly enough, one of my sisters developed an alcohol and drug addiction as an adult.

Another sister became "addicted" to marijuana, as she would state it, because of a nine year bout with breast cancer and pain management.

Another sister has never tasted any alcoholic beverage during the entire course of her life.

I rarely drink any alcohol, when I do imbibe, its a shot of Irish whiskey in my coffee.

In Texas, a parent can allow a child to "sip" alcohol under the parent's direct supervision, even in a restaurant.

I don't campaign for or against alcohol.

I do support laws that are supposed to limit or contain drug abuse.

The observations of my lifetime lead me to conclude that many parents today fail to properly supervise and monitor their children.

As I see it, the failure began with the children of baby boomers, of which I am one.

My wife and I discuss this regularly, and acknowledge that the decline in what we know as western civilization is attributable to our generation.

On a positive note, we enjoy our grandchildren when they visit.

Long ago we gave them our rules when they came to visit or spend a week or two with us over the summers.

Our children failed to understand how we could get their children to behave by merely looking at them, or often without a word.

Children, as do most adults, seek guidance and order in their lives.

Lay out the rules, expectations, and standards; and most people will readily embrace and adhere to them.

I've found that in my law firm, my ranch, and the other businesses I own.

You occasionally run into a rogue, which if dealt with quickly; won't infect the others.

As one having lived under 14 US presidents, I've seen a few things in my life time.

I can spot trends, good or bad, and the decline of good parenting throughout our society is quite apparent to me.

One can tie the decline in parenting, a weak core family structure, to an increase in crime.

However one characterizes it, as parenting declines so does the graduation rate.

Our societal structure was held together by families, which is cracking today.

We would ask to have a drink of beer from our parents. So my dad said "you won't like it." We said oh yes we will. So he would let us have a sip and we were all the same "Oh that's disgusting!" He only had to let us try it once. The only one who ever ended up with an alcohol problem is my oldest brother but he's got issues. He's a decent guy...he just always has lacked some common sense and been a bit naive. He always wanted to please people in high school so they'd be his "friends" - that kind of person.

But it did get kind of bad in his 20s and he almost killed himself rolling his pickup in a bean field drunk one night. Two weeks later he was drinking and I chewed him out. Luckily he met his wife because she got him to quit all the heavy drinking. Now he just goes out once in awhile.

But our parents never were regular drinkers. I have never seen my dad drunk. Not once. The closest to drunk I've seen him is when I had to take him to get a colonoscopy and they drugged him up. When they brought him out after it was hilarious. But never seen him drunk. He has been drunk. He did in college a few times. I have seen my mom drunk. Twice. That was hilarious even more than my dad drugged up. My brother got $20 out of her one time. I tried the next time and got "I'm not that fucking drunk!"

I do remember when we would eat as a family (that stopped when my mom increased her time spent running around with the guy she left my dad for and married and now regrets) and we had homemade pizza, they always each had a beer.

I don't think my dad has ever smoked pot or done any drugs outside prescription drugs. My mom - I don't know. I heard she liked to party in college. I never have asked her if she ever tried pot. I feel like she probably did.

I feel like marijuana should be legalized and regulated like tobacco. It's better than tobacco or alcohol. I tried it once in college. Just didn't do much for me just like I tried smoking a cigarette. First time was first time I got drunk. Then a couple times after but it did nothing so why waste money on it?

I haven't been drunk since the weekend before I found out I was pregnant and she's almost 4. The most alcohol I've had since I had her is a wine cooler a year ago. I can't handle more than that anymore. Once in awhile I think it'd be nice to have a margarita...like on my birthday. That's about the extent of my alcohol and after living with an addict I don't need to be around drugs ever again even after the military.

I never saw my parents drunk, either.
Mom would only drink a campagne toast on New Years Eve.
Dad had a one can or bottle rule.
My grandparents never drank alcohol.

The world and people were better in the golden olden days.

I never saw my parents drunk, either.
Mom would only drink a campagne toast on New Years Eve.
Dad had a one can or bottle rule.
My grandparents never drank alcohol.

The world and people were better in the golden olden days.

That's not to say they never drank. My dad told me he has been drunk a few times in his life. Night before his wedding (mom got drunker I heard). In high school maybe once and college. But when he was younger 19 was the drinking age and even when it changed in Nebraska he lived right next to the KS border. So they'd go to KS and get some. But he is a much more bookish person and "nerd" and I don't think he went to a lot of parties. I have heard stories about my mom though.

However neither of my parents would have ever given us alcohol to get drunk off as kids, or drugs or any of that nonsense. I mean she was a shitty mom but she didn't get that bad.

My grandpa always had a drink at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or a few. What was it - whiskey sour I think. In their old house he had a bar near the living room. They built a new house behind their old house actually. They had a kind of mini bar in the garage that's where we have get togethers now. But he always had at least a couple whiskey sours but he didn't down them. I'm sure he got drunk when he was younger. Or they'd have a beer once in awhile so I've seen my grandparents and parents drink. I don't think I ever saw my dad's parents drink alcohol though. Now that I think about it.

Or they'd have a beer once in awhile so I've seen my grandparents and parents drink. I don't think I ever saw my dad's parents drink alcohol though. Now that I think about it.

In my myopic view, whatever my parents did, they did with EXTREME caution, and always in moderation.

Slice it, dice, or chop it; it is my generation (baby boomers) that are at least 70% responsible for what has happened to the USA today.

Others are free to believe whatever they wish, I don't say that to convince others, I say it as my assessment of how a once great nation has degenerated over the past 50-60 odd years!

Slice it, dice, or chop it; it is my generation (baby boomers) that are at least 70% responsible for what has happened to the USA today.

I fully agree. I'm a baby boomer myself and I've often said that over the years.

I was a very young mom, and a single mother from the time my youngest was 6 months old, but I still knew that how I parented my kids was the most important job I'd ever do. I was never their "friend", it was always clear that I was the mother, and while I wasn't as strict as my own parents, I did insist on respect and a certain level of behavior from my kids, and a large part of how I did that was to try to be a good example for them. I wasn't a perfect parent, nobody is, but I tried my level best to raise good human beings!

I feel like one reason the baby boomer generation has raised their kids the way they have is because I feel like we are the first generation who has been so obsessed with being youthful ourselves, we've tended to infantilize our children well into adulthood. When people my age graduated from high school, if we didn't go to on to college we were expected to get a job and get out on our own. Now I see people well into their 30's who have never lived anywhere but in their parent's homes and who are so immature and generally irresponsible, they often strike me as having the emotional maturity of a 15-year-old. Yes, I'm not crazy about the aging process myself, and I love the fact that I look young for my age, but I'm not about to treat my 42-year-old son like a kid just because I don't feel old enough to be the mother of a 42-year-old!

We are also the generation who has been proponents of the "everybody wins a prize just for showing up" theory, and in my work as an HR professional I have frequently seen how that backfires once the person is on their own in the real world. I've had employees well into adulthood complain to me about being disciplined for some infraction that they just couldn't understand why they were being written up, put on probation, or whatever...even going so far as to say "but everybody loves me!" No, children, just because your mommy & daddy adored you and treated you like a prince or princess, that does not mean that EVERYBODY

...that does not mean that EVERYBODY

Well, that was the first time I've done that...I don't know what key I hit but it automatically posted this before I even had a chance to proofread it!

Anyway, to finish my thought, it doesn't mean that everybody you ever meet is going to automatically adore you - or even like you.

Well, that was the first time I've done that...I don't know what key I hit but it automatically posted this before I even had a chance to proofread it!

Anyway, to finish my thought, it doesn't mean that everybody you ever meet is going to automatically adore you - or even like you.

Amen, well said.

Our generation has no one to blame but ourselves, because most of our parents taught us better.

It just goes to prove, discipline, rules, laws, and order work.

Take them away, reduce the penalties, ignore the rules, and you reap chaos.

I can't count how many people I know right now who are in their 30's and expect parents or siblings to take care of them, and they don't have a clue why that is wrong. It makes me really angry when the parents or siblings are really struggling financially and the deadbeat moocher's just don't give a flip.

I can't count how many people I know right now who are in their 30's and expect parents or siblings to take care of them, and they don't have a clue why that is wrong. It makes me really angry when the parents or siblings are really struggling financially and the deadbeat moocher's just don't give a flip.

My wife has a friend. Her friend is 75. Her no good, three time felon son is 55, and bleeds his mother dry. She tells my wife she doesn't know what to do. My wife tells her to pray on it.

I wouldn't speak her out either. She's not alone.

Back