What is my daughter entitled to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgres69

MY daughter's father has had nothing to do with her and has gotten fired from several very good state jobs for drug abuse.My question is....she is 4 years old and he is 52 his parents pay 65.00 weekly to avoid him having to work...what is she entitled to as far as social security or retirement?

A child can receive three benefits from social security:

-survivor benefits
-disability benefits
-regular retirement benefits.

In case the father would die the child could receive survivor benefits until she is 18 in the amount of 75% of the father's benefits. The same amount would go to the child if she is disabled.

There is also a maximum amount for the family, that is between 150-180 % of the basic benefit, so if there would be 10 surviving children, each one would get much less than the 75%.

Disability benefits can be paid to the child either if the worker (father) becomes disabled or the child becomes disabled before she is 22. The same maximum amount restrictions apply.

Regular retirement benefits would be paid if the father regularly retires, up to 50% of what the father's benefits are, again subject to the family maximum.

To figure out how much money that would be one would need the social security records. Only the SSA office can help you here.

Thank You

Thank you for your response.I was wondering because he offered to write me a very large check if my ex husband would adopt her and he would be exclusively free of her so I figured there was something there.I spoke with a friend of his who said he was planning to retire at 59 to draw benefits so I think he was concerned.The way I look at it he has never seen her (we live 20 miles apart) and has never contributed anything but what was ordered by the court...I work full time and pay medical,dental,child care and everything else that comes with being a single Mom (no complaints I honestly love it)...my thinking was if he was not going to be a participating father then he can be financial support for his daughter so she can have a nest egg when she gets older.Thank you again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back