1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by jroberts, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jroberts

jroberts Law Topic Starter New Member

My ex-husband is currently $15,000+ in arrears in child support as of May 1st. It's an arrangement we have come up with between ourselves. He has no interest in seeing his 2 boys. Hasn't seen or talked to them in over 3 years (they are only 7 and 8). My current husband of 2 years would love nothing more than to adopt thembut my ex will not even talk to me. He knows he is behind a lot and would rather just not talk to me rather than come up with another excuse. How do I get him to sign over his rights so my husband can adopt them?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Dad can NOT just "sign away his parental rights".

This is especially hard to accomplish if you have ever received public assistance.

This will be even more difficult as long as he owes $15,000 in child support arrears.

I suggest you discuss your desires with a local attorney.

The initial consultation is normally free.

But, you can ask lots of questions and begin to understand how difficult this will be.

One final note on the child support arrears.

In VA, (as in many states) Dad could still be responsible for paying his back child support.

Dad might still owe the FIFTEEN GRAND!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

This additional reading is interesting.

Not all of easy these remedies are available to you 8, 9 years later.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. nurse1136

nurse1136 New Member

My ex owed thousands. I contacted "Dead beat Dads". Kansas flew to NJ, brought him to KS to jail and now his paychecks are being garnished. If he applies for a new job, when they run his background check, that new job will deduct his wages for support. It took me 9 years to figure out how to do that. Look online. My husband now considers my son, his son. He said that he doesn't need a piece of paper for that. My son will be an adult in 1 1/2 years anyways.

5. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

NONE of this is relevant.

NONE of it.

Please - don't post unless you either know the laws regarding the OP's state or can provide valid information.

And seriously - I don't know who the flying heck told you that every new job will automatically garnish your ex's wages, but they are DEAD wrong.

You know why?

Go on - do some research and then come back and tell me :)