What Can I LegaLLY DO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrivnor13

My 17 yr old daughter ran away from home. No one from my tax funded law enforcement is able or willing to help or assist in anyway. She has chosen to do this a week prior to moving out of state to take a job that would greatly increase my pay. I am told that no one will go get her or look for her. I am told that I am still legally responsible and can not leave the state, as that would be abandonment. Truth I do not want to leave with out her. I have already turned in my two weeks notice at work, and have been told I would have to wait for an opening to come back. So if I stay I am jobless and homeless. If I leave, I am considered to have abandoned my runaway child. Any ideas of legal merit would be greatly appreciated.

You can start by at least filing a runaway report and/or a missing persons report with your local gendarmes.
Tomorrow see a family law attorney in your county.
I won't reveal any more UNTIL you meet with a lawyer in your county.
After you do that, you'll be better informed and somewhat relieved.
Lets just say, don't tell your new employer you can't take the offer.
Until you meet that lawyer and retain his or her services, just remain silent.
You can also start beating the bushes for your little, lost lamb.
That's proof you're not abandoning or neglecting the LIL sweetheart.
Investigate hiring a private detective to see if he or she can find LIL Bo Peep.
That illustrates your continued concern for getting your little baby back in your nest.
Look busy and concerned.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Michigan is one of the few states that has failed to grant the authorities the legal power to forcibly return a child of 17 to their home against their will. The law in MI also appears to hold no sanctions against a person that harbors such a runaway. (MCL 712A.2 and MCL 722.151)

You might try to show up to where she is staying and bluff them demanding she return home with you or you are calling the cops ... but, it's a bluff, and they might know it.

And, unfortunately, you will continue to be required to provide support for the minor child until age 18 (MCL 722.3). And, the people caring for her could - in theory - sue you for that support.

However, so long as you provide for her care (maybe by paying a stipend to the people or person who is caring for her) you likely cannot be charged with abandoning her as you are providing the care of your child.

This is a sad situation, and MI is one of only two or three states where 17-year-olds are still the legal burden of a parent but granted defacto independence if they want it.

It would not be abandonment if you follow through with your move.
Report her missing and make sure your new address is provided in case she is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back