1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What are my rights!?

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by emma13, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emma13

emma13 Law Topic Starter New Member

I live in Puerto Rico and am 18 years old. I work and just finished my first year of University. I would like to move out into my own apartment and closer to my university. I would be paying for all my expenses because I can afford a small place of my own or to share an apartment and already I buy all the things I need. Can I petition an emancipation and if so, do my parents have to consent it for it to be processed? My dad is prohibiting me to move out until I turn 21. What are my rights as an under 21, but over 18 teenager?

2. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Well, let's look at an analysis of PR Law.

I'll draw your attention to option 3:
    3. Emancipation by judicial concession. A judge of a Superior Court may, grant emancipation to a minor who is at least 18 years old.

That might be something you wish to investigate, OP.

Okay, we learned that emancipation can be accomplished in four ways in lovely PR.

I suggest you speak with a local attorney or two and discuss just what this means for you.

The initial consultation is normally provided for free.