What are my rights!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma13

I live in Puerto Rico and am 18 years old. I work and just finished my first year of University. I would like to move out into my own apartment and closer to my university. I would be paying for all my expenses because I can afford a small place of my own or to share an apartment and already I buy all the things I need. Can I petition an emancipation and if so, do my parents have to consent it for it to be processed? My dad is prohibiting me to move out until I turn 21. What are my rights as an under 21, but over 18 teenager?

I live in Puerto Rico and am 18 years old. I work and just finished my first year of University. I would like to move out into my own apartment and closer to my university. I would be paying for all my expenses because I can afford a small place of my own or to share an apartment and already I buy all the things I need. Can I petition an emancipation and if so, do my parents have to consent it for it to be processed? My dad is prohibiting me to move out until I turn 21. What are my rights as an under 21, but over 18 teenager?

Well, let's look at an analysis of PR Law.

I'll draw your attention to option 3:
3. Emancipation by judicial concession. A judge of a Superior Court may, grant emancipation to a minor who is at least 18 years old.

That might be something you wish to investigate, OP.

Civil Code of Puerto Rico, 1930, Article 232 is the law dealing with emancipation and age of majority in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

There are four ways to be emancipated under Puerto Rican law:

1. Emancipation through consent the father or mother that exercises guardianship, or the legal guardian of the minor, declared in an affidavit, with the presence of two witnesses and the minor in question. For this to happen, the minor has to be at least 18.

2. Emancipation by marriage. If the minor received consent to get married he becomes emancipated once he gets married. However, this type of emancipation is not full. The married person, in order to take loans, credits and such, needs according to the text of the law, consent from the father, or in the lack of the father, of the mother.

3. Emancipation by judicial concession. A judge of a Superior Court may, grant emancipation to a minor who is at least 18 years old.

4. Emancipation by age. Anyone becomes emancipated once he turns 21.

The fact that this age is much higher than the ages of majority of other states and territories in the union, brings to question what is the status of a legal adult from another state or territory who is still under 21. This apparently is a gray area in Puerto Rican law.

http://www.youthrights.net/index.php?title=Puerto_Rico_Emancipation_Law

Okay, we learned that emancipation can be accomplished in four ways in lovely PR.

I suggest you speak with a local attorney or two and discuss just what this means for you.

The initial consultation is normally provided for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back