wasn't treated fair enough at michaels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

christy1986

Hello, my name is Christina P. I was recently got fired from Michaels Craft Store. on July 27th 2010. the reason for the termination was violating policies. the policy was a Blackhawk policy. I signed an agreement in Feb. 2010 that i would not hand key a credit card. Well two weeks before i got fired. this Muslim guy comes through my line and buys $400.00 worth of stuff. which was just a craft table and a preloaded debit card. the man slide his card. the machine read "error please re-slide card." So the guy re-slide his card. again the credit card machine read "error please re-slide card." So i asked him for his credit card so i could slide it through my register. then again it still read the something. so the guy presents his ID the name on his ID matched the credit card so i hand keyed the credit card in the machine.. and put the expiration date in. it said approved. he signed the credit card slip and was out the door. didn't think anything about it. i seen his ID and his card the name was so different i couldn't even read it. even his signature was unique. Now the reason for my complaint is i got fired two weeks later. my asst. manager brought me in the office and asked me what had happen and told me that 6 other people in the district had been fired for the same reason. of course i start to cry because i felt like i haven't done anything wrong i didn't want to loose my job plus, i have a 1 yr old child to take care of. and to top it off i loved working there ( i was even trying to get the craft dept manager position available there) i wasn't just a normal cashier i was a front end supervisor a key holder. someone who has more authority than just a regular cashier. If i would have called a manager and this had happen would we both had gotten fired or would i just gotten a write up? i want answers i don't feel like i was treated fair enough. the other people in the district i want to know there position i want to know where they just regular cashiers? did they have any write up on there record. because i didn't i had worked there going on 4 yrs. and love every second of it. i got fired after i worked a full 8 hrs that day and 10mins after i clocked out lost prevention called and told my asst manager that she had to let me go. she cried. my main manager even tried to get me back he didn't think it was right. another thing is the registers now have a block on it where u can't hand key a credit card. that's just not fair if it was that important to begin with why didn't they have that block on there?? it cost me my job :mad: allot of people say i have a law suit on my hands but i don't know where to start. does anyone know any legal advice for Nashville Tennessee??? to top it all off i don't even know if that credit card was even stolen, all i know is i got fired for hand keying a credit card. i believe i could of just got a write up or a warning or something not terminated from my job... any advice please? thanks Christy

"A lot of people" are wrong. You don't have anything even close to a law suit for wrongful termination. Google the phrase and you'll find out why.

There is no law requiring you receive a warning before being terminated.

And what the heck does the customer being a "Muslim guy" have to do with anything? How do you even KNOW he was a Muslim, and what possible difference could that have made?

File for unemployment and hope the employer doesn't protest.

"A lot of people" are wrong. You don't have anything even close to a law suit for wrongful termination. Google the phrase and you'll find out why.

There is no law requiring you receive a warning before being terminated.

And what the heck does the customer being a "Muslim guy" have to do with anything? How do you even KNOW he was a Muslim, and what possible difference could that have made?

File for unemployment and hope the employer doesn't protest.

okay i didn't mean to make it like i needed a warning before i got fired. im talking about the reason i got fired i dont think it was write. they could of just wrote me up..

and nothing about him being muslim didn't mean anything to me his wife was in one of those dress things that cover ur face. i mean im far from racist. but i was just trying to get my point across that he wasn't american.. i couldn't even read his name and he barely spoke english. that did make differnce i was just trying to say about the name on the card and his signature.

i did file unemployment the unemployment office approved me but michaels denied me

i dont think u see where im coming from.but thansk

I see that what you posted was not an illegal action on the part of the employer. "Unfair" (which it may or may not be, doesn't make any difference) does not necessarily equal "illegal".

You got the answer to your legal question.

The employer does not "deny" unemployment. The employer protests. The state makes the decision. You can appeal, but I wouldn't be optimistic for the reasons FlaRiptide noted in the other thread you posted.

the policy was a Blackhawk policy. I signed an agreement in Feb. 2010 that i would not hand key a credit card.

Christina,
Sorry, but you even stated you signed the "No hand key agreement with Michael's" With being a supervisor doesn't put in a "Write up before fire status either". Honestly, it puts you into the "Fire" because you knew better. You knew it was against company policy and shouldn't have been done. But I do have a question.... What is Michael's policy for handling this type of error? Denied the purchase? Call the Credit Card company? Now if Michael's has a policy in place for supervisor's to make the call on "Error Card" You could take it up with the Main Office.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back